Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2001 Outback showing signs of electrical problems. On the road, dials suddenly quit, then eventually the car quit.

I noticed a week ago that my less-than-3-year-old battery had drip-tracks on its sides and a small deposit of corrosive debri in battery tray.

A few days later, after being on the road for 15 minutes, coming up a hill (is that important?) my speedometer dial and rpm dial quit. About 10 seconds after that, my radio faded. Then there was a little bucking, but the car still ran. I was close to home, made it the next few blocks, almost got the car parked and then it died. I let it sit for a while, tried to start it up and then everything was fine, tho I haven't driven it around yet. I started it up this morning and all was normal.

What is going on? What next? Replace the battery? Should I take it to a dealer or local mechanic?

If you don't feel like doing the work yourself take it to someone you trust. My first thought is the car is overcharging and has possibly ruined that battery.

All the connections need to be cleaned as well as the battery area and the entire changing system tested.

• 5 months later...

An update on the electrical problem....

Eventually, at 75K, the car just quit and after the battery and alternator were replaced, it was behaving well again. At 78K miles, the starter went...my mechanic said that was early for a starter to go out, but after I told him about the electrial problems the car had suffered, he said that he was not surprised by the early demise of the starter. Now, with a rebuilt starter in place, car is running fine again.