Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whizzing,whininy, sound!

Where is it coming from? Is it only when you push in the

clutch? If so, I would think of the throw-out bearing first.

u know i think it might just be when i do push in the clutch or as i'm about to shift. so if it the throw out bearing....what do i do to replace it, and is it expensive? can it be replaced by a junkyard part? and it is hard to do?? thanks, by the way...how long can i drive it before something if anything happens?

If it's the throwout bearing, you're going to have to pull the engine or trans to replace it. It sits on the transmission input shaft at the end of the clutch fork, and pushes on the pressure plate springs to release pressure when you shift. If you're going that far, you might just want to replace the clutch, too, depending on its condition. I wouldn't use a junkyard part, because it's too much work getting to the TO bearing.

As for what will happen if you continue to drive it, first of all, it's going to gradually get louder. Eventually, it might wear through the fingers on the pressure plate, which means your clutch would stop working. So either way you're eventually going to have to take care of it.

well... its most likely the to bearing going bad, if and when you replace it, replace EVERYTHING at the same time to save yourself down the road(clutch disc, pressureplate, throwout bearing, etc... etc... ). if its always whining/whurring or whatever, try changing the gear oil in your transmission, if what comes out looks to be brown, opaque, silvery(and possibly having many tiny metal flakes), your oil needs to be changed and/or there may be internal problems such as a bearing wearing down(is it hard shifting in and out of any of your gears?)

I would start by changing the gear oil in the trans, it might need it anyway. If the problem is still there, I would look at the full clutch setup.

I just so happen to have a set that I took out after only a few races, still looks nice but I'm upgrading to an XT6 clutch because the stock ea82t clutch can't handle the boostedballs! ARRRR!

just wanted to say thanks to...scrap487, subarian, jerry demoss, & boosted balls. for all ur imput and quick response. i think i'll go with changing the gear oil, because ever since i've had the soobie, i know i havent done it and who knows if the previous owner ever did it. the wagon runs great, had 207,285 miles on her, and that wheezy sound isnt that bad, but i do notice it. let me try that and i'll let u know if i have any further question. once again guys thanks. everyone here is just the best. "soobie people are the best! baggyshorts