Ultimate Subaru Message Board

are all 99 legacy front calipers alike??

to all the do-it yoursefers, i am going to replace the front calipers on my 99 legacy, the question I have is , are the calipers different on wagons, sedans, etc. , the reason I ask is cause I have a postal legacy and I am afraid I may have calipers that are heavy duty from another subaru, the factory may install them there, I know that they are a single piston type, is everyone elses single piston on the 96-99 legacys????

please only reply if you have an answer, no guesses today guys, I don't want to run around the entire state looking for the correct caliper, oh, by the way, I am trying to avoid the stealers price!!!

DanO

my 97 obs has the single piston calipers, and my friends 99 legacy outback has the 2 pistons next to each other.

Honestly, i don't think they'd put 'heavy duty' calipers on a mail car would they? i'd guess they'd be stock.... just me guessing though ;)

I have a postal wagon it's a 1997 the calipers are the same, as the left hand drive. I have over 300,000 miles on mine so their is not much that has not been replaced. The only two things I found so far that is different is the steering rack arms, they are backwards and the heater core is also different. I'am sure their is other things but that is all I have found so far. If you have questions a good Subaru salvage yard has good information on parts exchange. If you have trouble finding one get back with me and I will give you the phone number of one that is helpful. The exchange price at Auto Zone is not bad you might check their site I dont remember the price but it 's not much. Dont try to rebuild, the boots are way to tough to get back in.

to all the do-it yoursefers, i am going to replace the front calipers on my 99 legacy, the question I have is , are the calipers different on wagons, sedans, etc. , the reason I ask is cause I have a postal legacy and I am afraid I may have calipers that are heavy duty from another subaru, the factory may install them there, I know that they are a single piston type, is everyone elses single piston on the 96-99 legacys????

please only reply if you have an answer, no guesses today guys, I don't want to run around the entire state looking for the correct caliper, oh, by the way, I am trying to avoid the stealers price!!!

DanO

I forgot to mention their is a great site, rockauto.com is has a great parts catalog and the postal legacy has its on seperate listing. Great prices and very fast shipping. Also good is Litha Subaru the ones in the National Rural Carrier magazine. their number is 1-866-717-2512 tell them you have a postal wagon and you will get parts at a big discount and they will also give free tect advice. You will get your parts in two to three days.