Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed the O2 sensor on my wife's 93 Legacy today, it had a constant check engine light, and a 32 code. But, I used a Bosch universal sensor, 3 wires, and I hooked it up wrong. The instructions were vague, and I hooked the sensor lead to a heater lead. So, probably put 12 volts into the sensor port of the ecu. It will start just fine, but dies very soon. If I keep it above 2000, it will run OK. It was running fine until I did the sensor change today. Pretty sure I didn't knock anything loose or do any other damage under the hood. Tried unhooking the o2 sensor, then put the old one back on, but no luck. Help!!! Russell

I changed the O2 sensor on my wife's 93 Legacy today, it had a constant check engine light, and a 32 code. But, I used a Bosch universal sensor, 3 wires, and I hooked it up wrong. The instructions were vague, and I hooked the sensor lead to a heater lead. So, probably put 12 volts into the sensor port of the ecu. It will start just fine, but dies very soon. If I keep it above 2000, it will run OK. It was running fine until I did the sensor change today. Pretty sure I didn't knock anything loose or do any other damage under the hood. Tried unhooking the o2 sensor, then put the old one back on, but no luck. Help!!! Russell

After reinstalling the old O2, did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

If you was under the hood check and see if the big hose is off from the thing that hooks the air filter to the big black thing at the back of engine. It is about 3/4 in. hose and is on the bottom of air filter duct. When that is off it causes the engine to run like you say.

The sensor was $44 from Shucks Auto, but you have to print out the price from Parts America, their on line outlet to get it that cheap. Otherwise was $65. I found my problem, by the way. Knocked off a large vacuum hose under the main air intake, now it runs fine. Just have to rechange the O2 sensor, but I know how now. Russell