Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, all

New poster, have owned 2 Subies so far and there have been 5 in the family altogether (3 currently)

My first was an 87 DL wagon that had 180K on it when I plowed it into the front of an Expedition. I walked away from that with only minor injuries, so I was determined to go back to a Subie when I could.

I just bought a 95 Legacy LS wagon with the 2.2 and 101K on it. It is VERY clean and runs and rides very tight and quiet. At this point, the only concern I have is that the mpg is not as expected. The first 2 tanks, I was barely getting 20 around town. I put in some injector cleaner and plan to spent this Saturday changing plugs and air filter. My mechanic ( a factory-trained Subie guy) also suggested putting the fuse in to disable the AWD.

Is this mileage normal for this gen of Legacys? Any suggestions?

putting the fuse in will help a little maybe 2mpg if you are lucky,i think you are close enough to the right milage that a tune-up will help some,if the check engine light is not on,and the fuel in your area is presumed good i think you should be getting about 24-25mpg.

Another Delawareian!

There's been some discussion about putting in a fuse and running FWD. The biggest problem is the weight, not drag on the drivetrain so little is to be gained. Search the board and you'll find the pros and cons and that most everyone who tried it got about the same milage. The only reason that I can figure anyone gets better milage is that with the fuse in the front wheels spin easier from a standing start, so you take it easier.

:burnout:

I get about 22-24 in our MY95 sedan in daily driving, and 28-30 on a very long highway trip. In the winter it drops 1-2 MPG which I blame on the winter formulated gasoline.

the newer generation subaru's don't get great gas mileage. yours doesn't sound far off depending what kind of driving your doing.

the fuse will not help physically speaking. mentally maybe you're more aware of driving habits and slow down, use brakes less if you put it in due to the fact you're paying more attention to it, but otherwise it won't make a difference everything else being equal.

i've gone so far as to drive both auto and manual trans in FWD without the rear driveshaft connected and even without the rear axles/rear diff in place and still no difference. (i didn't do it for gas mileage reasons, but do plenty of highway driving for accurate comparisons). i'm currently running FWD in my XT6 because i removed the rear diff to put in another car...no change in mpg at all and i drive all highway miles 120 miles round trip per day to work. very consistent testing, no change.