Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket?? Don't think so... but...

WARNING: LONG POST :-\

hey, i'm back to driving my old 90 loyale. my sister traded it back to me for a 350 dollar 81 celica cause she was sure the headgasket is going on her loyale. i started driving it around today and i noticed a few things but don't think it's the headgasket, i'll list what she told me and what I've noticed so far and see what you guys think:

What she siad:

-recently lost a bit of power(not that it had any before)

-intermitantly blows white smoke out the tailpipe

-white smoke emmits from under the hood at stops

What a shop siad:

-One of the spark plugs is pulling out

-coolant leaking from thermostat housing and maybe elsewhere (thus smoke from hood)

-headgasket going based on my sisters observations (she wouldn't let them tear into it - $$)

What I have done and observed today:

-I put in a new gasket on the thermostat (w/ a new thermostat) and refilled the radiator (it was pretty low), as well as topped off the oil ect.

-while driving the car seems the same as when I drove it, however i noticed once while driving around 25 I stomped on it and it didn't go at all (not even a slow acceleration due to lugging) I down shifted and it went fine.

-I'm also noticing a sloshing noise coming from what seems to be behind the dash.

Thats what I've got so far.

The car has a pretty interesting history, at least as long as we've had it.

-the summer after i bought it after replaceing the water pump i blew two hoses and the car really liked to run hot (never overheating though, i always had my eye on it), solved this by replacing the radiator.

-My sister then drove the car and noticed the 4 didn't work any more, she just kept driving it until the growling from the back got so bad she took it in and found out the drive shaft was screwed- replaced it.

-she had the oil changed right before a trip to canada, they forgot to put her oil cap back on and she drove it till the engine got so loud she stopped and popped the hood, oil everywhere and cap sitting nicely on top. They gave her some free oil changes and she was happy (she shoulda made them buy her a new engine)

Thats about everything.

Thanks for enduring. Any ideas?

ok the gurgling coming from behind the dash is the heater core. You might want to see about flushing the coolant system to help. Also, you failed to mentioned if the heater worked and how good it works. If it just blows cool air when the heater is all the way on with the car at operating temperature, then you'll need to flush the system or if all else fails, the heater core might need to be replaced *shudders*

The gurgling is air in your cooling system. It's really common on the EA82s. To get rid of it, you open the radiator cap and squeeze the top radiator hose, then add coolant. Keep doing that until no more air comes out. It helps if the nose of the car is pointed uphill. Also make sure your cap is good, the line to the overflow is connected, and the reservoir has coolant in it.

As far as the occasional white smoke, it might be the intake gaskets. Check to see if the intake is tight.

The heater seems to work fine. Thanks for the info subarian, I was hoping it was something common, the reservour is bone dry, i'll fill it and "massage" out the bubbles again (already did that once today on the thermostat swap). thanks again. anyone else have ideas on the rest?