Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Legacy GT Want to add accessory power in console

Hi all,

Owner's manual shows optional accessory power plug in console between cup holder & armrest. Looks like a coin holder is there now.

What year & models had this option, that I could get from a salvage yard?

Dealer thinks I might need the harness for it. If so, How do I remove the console? [As in hidden screws & clips, apply pressure here while pulling there]. Any ideas where to tap into circuit or is there a plug just waiting for me?

The “owner’s manual” says only use a OEM cig lighter, no other chargable devices. Is that correct, as in iPod, cell phone charger etc? Some posts imply there's a fuse that blows due to a continuing draw. Yes/No?

Other than Chilton & Hanyes, are there better books for basic repair? I don't intend on R&R major components [motor, trans etc] just a few mods and maintenance.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Subaru's socket is pretty lousy and a few fires and a lot of short circuits have come from it. If you are going to go to the trouble to add one get a good socket from another car. I know the BMW one is fine becuase I have one of those. Heck any GM or Ford should ahve one too. All you need to do is drill a hole for the socket and run a heavy power line and fuse. If it were mine I would pick up power under the hood and run it back, but its your baby.