Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Neutral Safety Switch Location

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm trying to help my mom out with her 93 Legacy. Sometimes it won't start, then if you try it again at a later time it will start. My uncle suspects the neutral safety switch but can't find it, and the chiltons manual isn't much help. He said he looked underneath and on the tranny somewhere is a switch, but he didn't know if it was the back up light switch or the Neutral safety switch. We want to find it that way when it does it again, we can try and jump the switch on the spot to see if it is indeed the problem. Any info/advice is much appreciated.

BTW, the starter was replaced a few months back.

AT or MT?

Were you having this problem with it not starting before you replaced the starter?

Have you stuck your head out the window when it doesn't start and listened for a click? You might want to try that next time it won't start. See if you hear a click when you turn the key to the Start position. Either have someone stick their head in the engine bay, and/or stick your head out the window so you can hear things better.

Getting back on TOPIC, does anyone know where the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH IS ON THESE CARS? THANKS>>>>>>>>>>

The conversation has been on topic.

Your AT does not have a neutral safety switch. It has an inhibitor switch, which is located inside the transmission.

You also have a shift lock system which won't let the car start unless the gear selector is in park or neutral. So I would lean towards that if you're absolutely positive there's no clicking sound.

You can check out these scans which talk about it.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/3-3_shift_lock_sys1.jpg

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/3-3_shift_lock_sys2.jpg

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/6-3_at_shift_lock.jpg

Isn't it possible to bypass that through the shift box too? I'll double check my haynes tomorrow.

I'd double check for those clicks, definitely sounds like a starter solenoid issue if present. Also, check battery to starter connections.

The inhibitor switch is on the right side of the trany Try this site http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d801e6c14.jpg

Will it start if you take it out of park and try it in nuetral ?

SEA#3

The inhibitor switch really doesn't do anything to keep the car from starting. All it does is tell the electronics what gear the transmission is in. The other systems are what keep the car from starting.

The shift lock system is what gets the information from the inhibitor switch and then says yes or no you can start the engine.

The inhibitor switch really doesn't do anything to keep the car from starting. All it does is tell the electronics what gear the transmission is in. The other systems are what keep the car from starting.

The shift lock system is what gets the information from the inhibitor switch and then says yes or no you can start the engine.

I think you may want to review that. The inhibitor switch is directly involved with the starter circuit. They are known for bad contacts and intermittent starting, especially when the car are left to sit after driving (heat soak)

The shift lock system does use the inhibitor switch as a reference to see if it is in park, so that you have to apply the brake before you can move the shift lever out of park

SEA#3

I think you may want to review that. The inhibitor switch is directly involved with the starter circuit. They are known for bad contacts and intermittent starting, especially when the car are left to sit after driving (heat soak)

The shift lock system does use the inhibitor switch as a reference to see if it is in park, so that you have to apply the brake before you can move the shift lever out of park

SEA#3

The inhibitor switch by itself doesn't keep the car from starting. I can jumper two pins on the car side of the AT connector and start the car, regardless of what gear it's in because I've tricked the other systems in thinking the trans is in Neutral or Park. Yes the inhibitor switch is tied into the other electronics. The other electronics/systems are what keep the car from starting.

Anyway....I think it's the old potAtoe vs Patatoe thing....