Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown head gasket I guess.

OK so my temperatature goes way up when im driving around. never in the red but close. I changed the thermostat as well as the radiator because of this problem and its still there . the left side of the radiator is hot and the right side is cool. If i want to get it to cool down i need to drive the crap out of it and then it seems to come down a bit. Overall though the temperature is all over the place but never below half way. Its very confusing as well if i turn the engine off then on the temperature guage reads higher almost immediately then it creeps down then back up and so on.

Sounds to me like it could be a water pump issue. The radiator being cold on one side is a clue. The water isn't circulating. It's possible that water isn't circulating, but is going to boiling point in the engine, steam is pushing water out into the radiator, cool water flows in, repeat process. The thermostat is acting like a one-way valve.....??

I just replaced my water pump about a month ago (ea-81) and it ran $29 at autozone, with a limited lifetime warranty....

And not to be insulting, but.... did the thermostat get replaced correctly? That is, pellet side down? I've done that before. :banghead: (Yes, I had been drinking...... :drunk:)

Good luck!

All I can say is do all you can do to keep that engine from overheating or youll be replacing an engine. Started loosing power on the highway one day goin up a hill looked at the thermo, waaay in the red, toasted engine. Luckily,a week later I came home to find that my girlfriend bought me an engine! Yeah, I know, whata girl. Good luck.

Clayton

Bellingham, WA

The radiator is a crossflow design, so I would expect it to be cooler on the right side (as viewed standing in front of the car looking at the engine) than on the left. You really need to check top to bottom. It is possible that the radiator is partially clogged, yeilding cold area diu to lack of flow... but, again, these usually show up as hot cold horizontal bands across the radiator.

As stock90 ask, is the fan coming on??? Usually, when a car overheats around town, but stays cool at high road speeds (you really didn't define "drive the crap out of it"), it means that the cooling fan is not working.

Can you keep the temperature down by running your heater at full blast?

welll.................. so i took it back to the mechanic and low and behold there was exhaust fumes in the radiator. so we got it down to a blown head gasket but.....something interesting was discovered. When i bled the rad it ran fine for a while and then when the engine pumped enough air in the cooling system it was locking up giving the indication that there was a blocked rad, cool on the right and hot on the left as well the heater didnt work. weirdly enough the compression tests came back fine and the first time he did a hydrocarbon test on the cooling system it was negative. so he figured the water pump wasnt circulating but it was the engine pumping enough air in the system to stop it from circulating.

anybody else had this happen?