Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy Won't start cold....

I've got a 1990 Sub. Legacy Wagon with 120k miles +or-, and when the weather is below 20 degrees or so, it has a serious problem starting.

Actually, this also occurs sometimes on my '92 wagon, but it's not as severe.

The car turns over, may fire and run for 1 sec. or so and dies. A couple times like that and then it backfires back through the aircleaner... If I can get it to catch, after several repeats of this proceedure, I can sometimes get it to run (very roughly), and by staying on the gas pedal, I can keep it lit long enough for it to warm up. Eventually, it will even out and run okay.

The car is going into the shop today, but the weather is 30 degrees plus and the ole' boy started right up this morning. Mechanics' going to think I'm making it up! Anyway... does this sound like the idle air control that I've seen mentioned in other posts? What else should be worth trying if it comes back from the shop with a big "I dunno" from the mechanic?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Mike

The only thing that came to my mind is fuel. Are you perhaps getting your gas in both cars at the same stations? Might be a little watery. and/or your fuel filter could be full of watery goodness which might mess around with you once the mercury drops past freezing.

just an idea...

Mike

My daughters 1990 had what sounds like the same troubles. Ran fine if you satyed on the throttle til temp came up.

The 'all knowing' fellows here pointed to among other things the idle air control valve. Took care of it just fine.

I put a used one on from another 1990. Not sure but if you find one from a year or two newer you may find it is not quite the same. Sort of fuzzy on this but thought worth mentioning.

gl

rick

w. mi.