Ultimate Subaru Message Board

while I'm ripping my GL-10 apart...

Experts,

I need some clarification on the procedure for changing the timing belts.

My repair manual does not specify that the pistons should be at TDC on piston 1 before replacing the belts. It just says line up the 3 valve timing marks on the flywheel with the pointer and the middle mark lined up.

A ScoobyMods post also mentions nothing about TDC when replacing belts.

Do I need to locate TDC before changing the belts?

I just want to make sure before attempting this. I guess you can tell it will be my first time.

I'm also thinking about changing the tensioners and the idler pulley at the same time.

Thanks.

./steve

Don't worry about TDC. Use the three lines to set the crankshaft position and set one cam sproket pointer up and the other one down. There are two sets of marks on the timing belt cover for lining up the cam sprokets, top and bottom. By setting one cam to the top mark and the other cam to the bottom mark you can put both belts on without the need to rotate the crank one full turn between installing belts. It doesn't matter which cam is up or down, just set the cam which is the easiest to see the bottom mark on the lower mark.

Don't worry about TDC. Use the three lines to set the crankshaft position and set one cam sproket pointer up and the other one down. There are two sets of marks on the timing belt cover for lining up the cam sprokets, top and bottom. By setting one cam to the top mark and the other cam to the bottom mark you can put both belts on without the need to rotate the crank one full turn between installing belts. It doesn't matter which cam is up or down, just set the cam which is the easiest to see the bottom mark on the lower mark.

Thanks for the tips Mark!

./steve

When you put the belts on, you want the flywheel at the 0 timing mark, the disty cam at 135degrees clockwise from mark on plastic cover. The other cam is 180 from that, you will be able to notice by eyeballing it if it is one notch out on the belt. And if you have the disty out, the rotor should be pointing at plug 1 at this point. Any question/clarifications just ask, I have a FSM (factory service manual).

Clayton

Bellingham