Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Collapsed suspension?

Alright. I have an 86 GL 3dr fwd 5spd, and the rear suspension is haywire. I took it to work and back yesterday, and it was fine. I took it out again after work and I'm hearing these weird noises from the back. Turns out both rear wheels are angled inward and rubbing the top and side of the wheel wells. Drivers side seems to be an inch lower than the passengers. I can't drive it over 30kph without smelling burnt rubber...

Any ideas? My boss seems to think it should be a stupidly easy fix... I'm just hoping it's a CHEAP fix, since christmas has me drained of funds...

*edit*

Pictures can be found here:

http://fluffy373.tripod.com/subaru/index.html

http://fluffy373.tripod.com/subaru/index2.html

woah..have you taken off your hubcaps and removed the rim? take the rear brakes and see how much they wobble, check the mounting bolts on the rear swing arm.

and that red thing is your bumpstop

As long as I know it's supposed to be there...

looks like you may have lost a wheel bearing, or had a suspension bushing fail - beyond that, I don't know what could have caused it - take the wheel off and start jiggling the undercarrage, and find the slop - the slop is the culperit

Both sides at the same time seems unlikely, but I'll take a look.

did anyone service your car recently?? brake job or the like??

are your lug nuts TIGHTLY in place??

Yes, the lug nuts are on very tight. I've had no recent service on this car, and haven't ever needed any on the rear end since I've owned it. Can't speak for the previous owner, but I've had this car 2 years this May, so I doubt he had anything to do with it.

and to 85Sub4WD, there is no slop in the undercarriage. The wheels spins quite freely as well. I pulled the wheels and shook pretty much everything, but no slop. I definately need new struts, but that's not what's causing the tilt... Anyone know the cheapest place to get them in Victoria, BC?

Got a few more pics too...

http://fluffy373.tripod.com/subaru/index2.html

What does the area around the top of the strut look like, where it bolts to the car? If that area is rusted out or collapsed, the car is trashed and can't be fixed. If it's solid and straight, then my bet would be that thick bar where the suspension mounts to- though it doesn't look collapsed either, but with rust like that, it could be the culprit. That bar, which you referred to as the pipe, can be removed. It's probably a 2 hour swap job by yourself and involves lots of tough bolts and bleeding the brakes, but it's fairly straightforward and can be done without too much trouble. Probably will need to replace the rear shocks and both swing arms on each side of the suspension, as after riding like that there's no way they'll be straight, and probably won't line up to bolt back together.

OK - sorry if I seemed to be insulting your intelligence, but it would not be the first time someone had their lug nuts stolen/loosened as a prank

anyway, I'm with Trogdor when it comes to the struts - if the top has rusted out, and they have gone through, it means your unibody is shot, and the car is not structurally sound/safe - I'm Sorry

on the more positive possibility, if you really only do need struts (4WD cars have a large rubber stop to keep from "bottoming out" - I could see 2WD strut failure causing this) - rubber spring shims are sold at most auto parts stores that you can use to *TEMPORARILY* hold the back end of your car up - a JY would be your cheapest alternative for new (different) struts, but not the most reliable - I do not think there is a preload adjustment on your car, or you could open that up, and get more height out of them

The struts off a 4WD car should fit, and they will be stiffer too - there are advantages to that

good luck!!

OK - sorry if I seemed to be insulting your intelligence, but it would not be the first time someone had their lug nuts stolen/loosened as a prank

No apology needed. I am a bit of a noob at this, and you're just trying to help.

I agree with both of you though; that pipe must be bent, or the swingarms are twisted. Doesn't look like it, but they must be. The top of the strut mount looks fine. Muddy, but fine.

The struts are gone though, so I suppose I'll get those shims tomorrow. Think it'll be safe even with the wheel tilted? How temporary are they? Like enough to get to a repair shop, or enough for a few days of driving? Also, would it be worth spending more on new parts, or should I find good used ones?

It appears that your suspension crossmember has rusted and lost it's strength and bent. It should be straight and parallel to the ground. Like Trogdor said a couple of hours should replace it. I think about any EA82 component should be able to be a replacement. Good Luck!

No apology needed. I am a bit of a noob at this, and you're just trying to help.

I agree with both of you though; that pipe must be bent, or the swingarms are twisted. Doesn't look like it, but they must be. The top of the strut mount looks fine. Muddy, but fine.

The struts are gone though, so I suppose I'll get those shims tomorrow. Think it'll be safe even with the wheel tilted? How temporary are they? Like enough to get to a repair shop, or enough for a few days of driving? Also, would it be worth spending more on new parts, or should I find good used ones?

there is a great subaru junkyard near ladysmith. it is called saltair auto recycling. i bought some struts off of them recently. good people.

250 - 246 - 4675

there is a great subaru junkyard near ladysmith. it is called saltair auto recycling. i bought some struts off of them recently. good people.

250 - 246 - 4675

Sadly, I live in Vic... Anyone closer? The closest place I know of is Malahat Auto Parts. They've got 20-ish Subaru's there, and were pretty helpful getting me a fill neck last year.

I'll see how much the crossmember, swing arms, and struts cost. This car's my baby, and I don't wanna lose it, but I can only afford so much...