Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester glove box removal

I have discovered, many thanks to this forum, that I need to replace the heater blower resistor on my 1998 Forester. I have found the resistor near the blower, and it appears that it will be easy to remove, except....that the glove box structure is so close to it that it is hard to get at the cable plug, and nearly impossible to remove the phillips screws holding the resistor block in.

So, the question is, what screws do I have to remove to pull the glove box assembly? I have found three after a quick look. Is this a simple thing, or is there some horrible trap there (I have been a victim of various springs, clamps, etc. in the past, starting when I was about eight and tried to disassemble my parents' spring-wound alarm clock.)?

Thanks for any help.

I have discovered, many thanks to this forum, that I need to replace the heater blower resistor on my 1998 Forester. I have found the resistor near the blower, and it appears that it will be easy to remove, except....that the glove box structure is so close to it that it is hard to get at the cable plug, and nearly impossible to remove the phillips screws holding the resistor block in.

So, the question is, what screws do I have to remove to pull the glove box assembly? I have found three after a quick look. Is this a simple thing, or is there some horrible trap there (I have been a victim of various springs, clamps, etc. in the past, starting when I was about eight and tried to disassemble my parents' spring-wound alarm clock.)?

Thanks for any help.

Take a look at the cabin air filter instructions at http://www.cars101.com Should be a fairly good guide.

Take a look at the cabin air filter instructions at www.cars101.com Should be a fairly good guide.

Texan -- I tried that but the 98 Forester didn't have an air filter, and the instructions for models that do have it show a totally different dash layout. However, I did find another site that gave relatively decent instructions, and after taking a closer look at my car, I think it's not going to be a big deal. I will try it when it stops snowing and gets a little warmer.

If I am successful, I will write a post on exactly how to do it, for the benefit of all.

Charlie in NH