Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 2000 forrester starts and runs great for about 15 mins then just dies. after about 10 mins it starts and again will run perfect for another 15 mins.The car has 82000 miles and the cel has been on since about 5000 miles.I baught it from a salvage rebuilder when it had 2000 miles on it. Its been a great car and Ive had no problems untill now. Im thinking its some electrical part that fails with heat.I just changed the plugs the other day. Thats all thats ever been touched on this engine. Any thoughts?

First, if the CEL is on, get the code(s) read. The answer might be right there. Record them, and clear them-then if the come code(s) reappear this is a real problem that does not go away by clearing the codes. You will need a code reader to do this, many autoparts stores will scan/clear the codes for free(be very wary of thier "advice"-this is service they can use to sell uneeded parts)

Second, cars still require spark, fuel and compression to run. it may be an intermittent electrical problem, but could be some thing else too. If it is unknown when the fuel filter was changed, change it now-and dump out the old one and check for dirt. Also inspect the air filter-replace if dirty.

Try to isolate the interminnnecy and factors that affect it-heat, if you drive fast does it stall sooner, etc. Also look for loose or damaged electrical connections, and vacuum hoses. if the car had a fair amount of work done on it(hence the salvage title) a burned, damaged or pinched wire may be your demon.

Please keep us posted on progress, pinpointing problems, and final resolution. The more information you can feed us, the more input we can give