Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Joining the subaru cult (wheel question)

Greetings. We will be picking up our 1995 Legacy L Wagon tomorrow. Lucky to find it with only 116,000 kilometers from an original owner with dealer maintenance records. This has 14 inch rims and 185 70 14 inch tires. Can I upgrade to 15 inch rims with 195 60 15 for summer tires with no ill effect on speedo and ABS function? I would like to keep the 14 rims for winter tires. Sorry if this question is in wrong thread? Thanks for your help. This is my first subaru. My wife had an 86 sedan that she enjoyed despite the occasional backfire problem.

Yeah, 195-60-15 is a correct size (like 0.1% deviation from stock rolling radius), but a lot of people get a set of used 16" WRX rims (lots of those on ebay). You can get'em real cheap, cause many WRX owners replace them anyway. They look much better on legacys than on wrx. Just make sure you throw away stock tires they are usually sold with no matter how much treadwear is left. If you keep stock wrx tires you speedo will be 3% too low. But you can get 205-50-16, which is in 0.5% of your original size.

Just make sure you throw away stock tires they are usually sold with no matter how much treadwear is left. If you keep stock wrx tires you speedo will be 3% too low. But you can get 205-50-16, which is in 0.5% of your original size.

What, because they're *GASP* RE92's? Sure there are some better tires, but there's nothing wrong with them. As far as the diameter goes, it's not really significant.

re92poster2hr.jpg

What, because they're *GASP* RE92's? Sure there are some better tires, but there's nothing wrong with them.

Yeah, right, perfectly good tire. No wonder why set of 4 wrx rims on ebay usually sells for about the same price as a set with re92 on them. Just have a look at tirerack rating, and keep in mind that people that rate tires there will generally like anything, cause the typical comparison is between old and bald set of tires, to a new set.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html

The Potenza RE 92's and RE92A's don't seem to have very happy owners. I had them on my new 06 for 500 miles before I put on snows. I'll likely sell them on eBay as they were poor in the rain. Fairly quiet and have low rolling resistance, though.

You can get 15" allots for $40-50 each on eBay, but they don't come up too often. 96-97 had the 6 spoke, 98-99 had five.

Be sure you buy WRX rims with the right bolt circle, as some are 100mm and some 114.3.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html

The Potenza RE 92's and RE92A's don't seem to have very happy owners. I had them on my new 06 for 500 miles before I put on snows. I'll likely sell them on eBay as they were poor in the rain. Fairly quiet and have low rolling resistance, though.

You can get 15" allots for $40-50 each on eBay, but they don't come up too often. 96-97 had the 6 spoke, 98-99 had five.

Be sure you buy WRX rims with the right bolt circle, as some are 100mm and some 114.3.

It also seems like most unhappy RE92 owners are 16 year olds who slid their WRX into a pole. Every week there's a post like that on nasioc, and every week 12 people are like "dude, it's because of the tires."

I've been driving on them for over a year, and I haven't had any problems in the rain and they grip better than my old tires. They're also very predictible and break away gradually. Yes, I would rather have Pzero Neros or even Kuhmo ASXs, but I can spend $250 for a new set of wheels and tires or $450 the kuhmos.

Only the 05-06 STi has 5x114.3 lugs.

It also seems like most unhappy RE92 owners are 16 year olds who slid their WRX into a pole. Every week there's a post like that on nasioc, and every week 12 people are like "dude, it's because of the tires."

I drove my 97 with Michelin HydroEdge one day and the RE92's the next, and thought they were poor in the rain.

On tirerack you can search on reviews by car brand and just read the Subaru reviews. The RE92 is currently ranked 21st out of 22 in the category. It's an OEM tire on some other vehicles and doesn't get much better reviews from most of them.

Lucky you, you should be able to pick up my nearly new 225/55x17 RE92's for around $200 on eBay.