Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy L electrical issue

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a 98 Legacy L wagon (ej22) with about 98k miles on it. I bought this car for it's reliability. I've had it for a week and my first used-car hiccup has hit me. The car is repeatedly blowing the turn signal/back up light fuse. If I replace fuse the signals will work for a minute or two before the fuse blows other times it's right when the car starts. I noticed once when I replaced the fuse the signals did not go out until I could sense the surge and dimming of interior lights and then no signals. Kind of irking driving around a metro area without turn signals, am taking it into the dealership on Thursday. Wanted some outside opinions.

Thanks in advanced,

Dan

P.S. other than that little problem I love the car.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the electrical system.

What all goes out when that fuse blows? Unfortunately, shorts aren't super easy to find at times. It may be a wire that has rubbed through, or possibly something as simple as a bulb that's shorted out. So you may want to start at the easy stuff and work up.