Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suspension upgrade to legacy

i'm not a mechanic but i had a strange idea to help raise the rear end of my legacy wagon when theres people in the back or when i pull my trailer. i had a set or coil springs from a 86 pontiac grand am that were 1/2 inch narrower outside dia. than the inside dia. of the strut springs. i took some heater hose and put about 4 inches on each end and cut the second set of springs down to 1/2 inch taller than the compressed spring on the strut put it inside and reattached the top plate. it did'nt rattle one bit and gave me an additional 2 inches of ground clearance and a rear suspension the does,nt give at all. i had also added outback struts to raise it and now have 29 1/2 inches to the top of the wheel well with 195/65-15 on.

Most people here just run the outback springs and struts, that is on the legacy, on the Impreza, the Forester struts swap in real nice, but in the rear you have to swap the top hat, which isn't bad when you can borrow the spring compressor from autozone.