Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Valve Cover Gaskets II

i havent seen this car in a year - going out this weekend to work on it - are there any removals that will make access easier

------------------------------------------------

Am i gonna have to replace these EVERY 15 years!

How much trouble can I get into replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 1991 2.2L 2WD Legacy?

Looks like i need a 10mm socket, and 2 inch extension and some new gaskets/silicone sealant and can all be done from above he engine. (My lift is at the dry cleaners this week.)

Would appreciate any hints or tips before I start scraping my knuckles.

What typically goes bad on the valve covers are the little grommets. When I replaced the the seals and grommets on my old motor, the seals looked great, but the grommets were more then likely what was leaking.

I'd recommend you go to your local subaru dealer and buy 6 of the grommets, replace them and be done with it. You can choose to replace or not replace the rubber seals, that's up to you. But silicone isn't going to work here.

I recommend replacing the seals and grommets, the seals do leak especially after 15 years. It can be done from the top, but you may find it easier to take stuff out of the way like battery and washer bottle on the driver side. One the passengers I would just take off the top of the air box and the plastic tube running to the throttle body.

Might want to replace the oring on the oil tube as well. Book pays 1 hour, I say you will do it in an 1.5 hours, maybe less..... Good Luck.