Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel guage busted / loose wire found

I have a '99 outback. I recently filled the tank, and next time I came to drive it, the fuel guage was resting on the stop pin past low. Thinking it could be stuck (I dont know how it works by the way), I turned the car off then back on. This time, the check engine light was on. I checked the fuel cap.

I looked underneath the dash and noticed a green wiring harness that was disconnected and hanging down. One wire was black with a red stripe and the other was blue with gray dots. Could this be for the guage?

On a similar note, my low fuel warning light went out (I think I ran it too low for too many times perhaps). Is this an easy fix?

Is the green connector a T shaped connector....same/similar as the one in this pic?

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ecuhide.jpg

If so, those are the diagnostic connectors, leave them disconnected.

As for your problem with the gauge. It's possible the float is stuck or something is screwed up with the electrical connections.

I'd start with the electrical. There's a connector under the passenger side rear seat. That's the fuel pump connector. You should be able to manipulate the low fuel light as well as gauge by grounding a pin with the key in the "ON" position. Same goes for the gauge. While I'm not sure if this diagram is the same for your car, it should at least give you an idea of what's going on.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/fuel_sender_scan.jpg

Thanks, I'll try that first. The check engine light came on, and remains on, when the gauge broke- are the two related? I am used to the CEL turning back off after a few startups...or will it stay on until the gauge is fixed?

Thanks again,

Andrew

It is highly unlikely that the CEL and the fuel guage problem are directly related. Best bet is to pull the codes, an Autozone or equivalent will do this for free.

What I'm trying to say is: The fuel quantity indication system is not one of the things that will trip a CEL.

Here's the pic

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/underseatfuelwiring.jpg

Usually the wires are kept together with tape, but those look all messed up, like someone had been messing with them. I'd definitely try and find a wiring diagram for the fuel sender for your car and do some testing.

This is for the legacy, but should be the same/similar for the outback

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/1999_Legacy_FSM/

I removed the cover for fuel sending unit access in the back driver's side. It turns out, the wires had completely frayed and broken off. I haven't tried yet, but I will reconnect them soon and hopefully be back in business. Any special precautions? I plan on reattaching them very well and wrapping with electrical tape.

If the wire is intact, I would wrap each wire with electrical tape very well, and then wrap the wires together in electrical tape. If the wires aren't in good shape, you should splice in new wire. You may even want to put wiring loom around the wires

I'd also wrap the wires going to the pump....the ones in the pic you sent me.

Josh