Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD diffs - what is the difference? Can someone Identify? (56k warning)

AlpineRaven

I have two LSD diffs here, the first one -

Part Number - Stumped on the LSD casing inside the diff shows - C4D6 which should be Clutch Pack LSD. - Story is - I bought it off from a mate which told me it was from RX Leone. - Pictures shown below -

DSCF5030.jpg

DSCF4138.jpg

Another LSD Diff - also stumped inside as well shows - C3D4 which is suppose to be Viscous LSD? Story is - When I bought this LSD cheaply from a wrecker which I was told it was from RS Liberty (1991 RS Liberty/same as RS Legacy Turbo) but he wasn't sure himself because it has been sitting on the shelf for long time - it has S39.11 stumped on the crown. - Pictures shown below -

DSCF5025.jpg

DSCF5027.jpg

DSCF5031.jpg

Now the question is - HOW do I know if its either Clutch or Viscous LSD? Because while I had the covers off on both Diffs the inside both looks the same/identical except the part numbers that is stumped on. Or I have to open it up right inside to find out? Both LSDs did have stickers on the cover plate but they're missing.