Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Driver Door Problems! Help!

Hi ALL!

Just recently I'm having a problem with my '97 GT Legacy Wgn drivers door! It seems shut! BUT, if a lean into it, that dash "door open" light thing comes on, and the dome light comes on! It really is easy to make this happen when the car is in a corner and leaning. I don't have to push it much! The door feels that it's shut!

I've had 2 things happen to this door recently! I live in Mass. A few weeks ago that door was frozen, I had to push it open from the inside. Of course the other doors weren't frozen. The other thing is...my seatbelt doesn't retract as well as it used too! So a couple of times I've slammed the door on the belt that's hanging outside the door! You can see from the outside, that the door isn't 100% shut! It sticks out past the body about an 1/8 of an inch! Is this something a body shop ONLY can fix?

HELP, SubeeTed

Found problem! I just went to my car to see if the plugger is dead! It's just fine! I saw that one of the screws that hold the latch on to the door is missing! Now how does that happen! I'm gonna steal one from the drivers side till I get a real one from the dealer!!

Many thanks ALL, SubeeTed

Hi ALL!

Just recently I'm having a problem with my '97 GT Legacy Wgn drivers door! It seems shut! BUT, if a lean into it, that dash "door open" light thing comes on, and the dome light comes on! It really is easy to make this happen when the car is in a corner and leaning. I don't have to push it much! The door feels that it's shut!

I've had 2 things happen to this door recently! I live in Mass. A few weeks ago that door was frozen, I had to push it open from the inside. Of course the other doors weren't frozen. The other thing is...my seatbelt doesn't retract as well as it used too! So a couple of times I've slammed the door on the belt that's hanging outside the door! You can see from the outside, that the door isn't 100% shut! It sticks out past the body about an 1/8 of an inch! Is this something a body shop ONLY can fix?

HELP, SubeeTed

S.T.

Had this problem too, only simple solution after months of fiddling was to stick a shaved foot pad ( the type used on the legs of kitchen chairs to prevent the floor from scratching ) on the inside of the door where there is contact with the switch to the dome light. I put a oil sticker over it to hide it and keep it in place. It worked for 4 years!

Hi ALL!

HELP, SubeeTed

SubeeTed,

Your solution to the seat belt that doesn't retract fully or quickly is pretty simple. Lexus has a TSB for the same problem on my wife's car, and the solution is to lift up the belt where it goes through the ring on the B pillar, and scrape off the dirt and grunge that has collected on the ring over the years. Apparently it drags the belt down causing a great deal of friction. Once scraped off (don't forget the other side of the ring as well), the belt retracted as new. I've had the same problem on my 02 OBW and fixed it the same way. Its amazing that something so simple could overcome the windup spring of the belt assembly.