Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've changed the fuel filter. That helped a major miss problem that I'd been having. But now, while climbing a hill, it misses and lurches, like it's on 3 cyl. then 4, then 3 and back and forth.... seems to be getting worse. The last mechanic to look at it (a week ago) said it was showing O2 sensor and throttle position sensor. Would either of these cause the problem? The Check Eng. light is on intermitantly. How do I check the codes?

And finally, as we don't have money for anymore mechanics, we are going to be doing work on this car (and our 92 Legacy) ourselves for a while.... What is the best Shop Manual / Technical help book I can buy for these cars? I have a Haynes manual for my Old Lincoln T-Car, and frankly, it's crap. Where can I find something that will guide me through basic and not so basic diagnosis and repair?

thanks!

Mike

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/subaru.html is link to Legacy777's apge taht gives code reading instructions for our cars(pre OBD2) I own a 91 Legacy.. Its pretty easy.

I would also check the wires, plugs and compression. I have a Chiltons for the Legacy , it is OK but of course there is some stuff not there. Anothe good source of free info is on autozone.com, go to thier repair information and key in your model year and vehicle type, you get a fair amount of info.

Please keep us posted of progress, and you will get good advice from the members here