Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Problem with Main Crank/Pulley!!!

Hello all,

My friend has a mid to late 90's 2dr n/a impreza. He told me he has started to hear a bumping/clunking/loose sort of thing, so i checked it out for him. With the engine running, i look in to see that the main crack pulley is wobbling like crazy. Surely that has something to do with what hes been hearing.

Today, i get a call from him and he says he was driving then he lost power steering and the batt light came on so he pulled over and found that the alt belt had come OFF the main crank pulley! And this is just after i tightened them both. The a/c belt was still off...but i could see it making its way to the edge.

So i re-installed both belt, made sure they were good and tight (again) and checked the main crank pulley bolt to find IT was a little loose. So i tightened that as much as possible.

But i have a couple questions:

It has an automatic tranny, with a manual tranny i think i remember i could stop the flywheel so i could tighten that main crank pully bolt up or leave it in gear. Should i just put it in drive to tighten it up this time or are there any other tips?

Also: Why would the main pully be wobbling this much? What would cause that? What can i do about it? Does it mean something serious is wrong? And how on earth could it wobble enough to throw the belts off....thats crazy.

Thank you very much for you help!

Ok, after a bit of searching i see this is common.

I think i will take the pulley off and see if the inside is torn up/ if the key is ok. And i should probably replace them both.

BUT

I know i need to get the pulley, but what is this "key" part that i need to get. What is its technical name and where can i get one.

Thanks!

i had the same issue on my 93 impreza l 1.8. i got lazy and didnt feel like doin the timing belt so i let a local garage do it and they never fully tightened the crank bolt. i pulled the balancer and the key was mushroomed so i took a file to it lined it up cranked it back down and its still good 8mos. later.