Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced cv...still making noise??

I just got some springs and struts off a 97 outback and installed them on to my legacy. I got about 2" all around and didnt think my cv joints would suffer. That night I heard a clunk, but only going 40+mph and only making a slight left (not hard left). I decided that it was my passengerside axle and ran up to autozone after school and got a remanufactured axle. Put it in and on the way to school this mourning it happened again. I have no idea what is happening? What could it be, wheel bearing, cv again, tranny? I have no clue as to what it can be. I put my outback wheels and tires on and plan to get an alignment this weekend. Coould an alignment be all I need? I need to find out asap since I dont have another dd anymore. Thanks, Andrew

P.S. I will get some pics up by sunday of the car since i have yet to post on here.

Wheel bearings are the first thing I would suspect ... is there any wobble or slop in the wheel when you have it off the ground? Next I would check the ball-joints and steering knuckle ... does this happen just on one side and when turning one particular direction? Hope this helps ... if you can't find anything wrong I would take it to a good alignment guy ... gl :)

I just got some springs and struts off a 97 outback and installed them.......

'nuff said. I bet you got a strut with a dead spot in it. My 97 Outback rode like a log wagon with all the front end clunking noise. Installed new OEM struts and it's almost like a Lincoln Town Car now. Well, ok, a Grand Marquiseter.