Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump problems

I have a 1987 Subaru XT GL-10 Turbo that was sitting garaged for 7 years. The fuel pump had failed and the gas was so bad in the tank it wouldn't flow from the hose at the tank. The fuel pump is replaced and the the tank is flowing again but the fuel pump will start making a terribly loud noise after a few minutes of operation and the pressurized line line vibrates real bad. The pump flows fine and there is no noise when I run a hose off of it and jump it from the battery. This is the second fuel pump this month since I though I got a bad one after the first one made so much noise.

The return line is not clogged, I blew air through it with a pump.

There is a lot of fuel pressure but not sure how much. I pulled the line off under the hood and it did spray hard for about 5 seconds.

I thought it could be the pressure regulator but that would mean it would be running very rich with the extra fuel pressure and there is no black smoke like its running rich. Actually the car will choke or stumble real hard under boost like its not getting fuel but idles fine and runs well under no boost conditions.

The codes stored were 44 (boost selinoid),

Code 22 (Water temp. sensor) Replaced but still showing up

Code 41 (Knock sensor), I can't even find this sensor.

Anyone every had a similar problem or have any ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

the fuel should "pour" out of the hose in the engine bay, not spray. but maybe your "spray" and my "pour" mean the same thing? if it's literaly spraying like a mist then it's not working right. should look like a mini-hose of sorts with gas instead of water pouring out steady.

the coolant temp sensor is most likely bad contacts or wiring. the sensors rarely, if ever fail. a new sensor, if it fixes it will only be temporary or not help at all. i'll post a link to how i fix them for good and the additional issue of possible corrossion well up the electrical wires inside the harness from the CTS. i replaced about a foot of wiring on mine to get rid of all the green corroded wire underneath the wiring insulation between the CTS harness and the engine harness.

link to my other post coming....

here's a permanent solution to the coolant temperature sensor issues. i highly recommend it as even new sensors do nothing to correct the old connector/contacts, corrossion and wires. even if you don't want to replace the wire, consider cutting off the stock connector as they will corrode easily at this point.

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1767&highlight=coolant+temp+sensor

• Like 1