Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burnt smell and squeal

alrighty. so im driving home tonight and start smelling a burnt rubber smell coming from the heater vents. i pull over and lift the hood and theres no smoke, just the odor. i check all fluids and everythings fine. I make it the last 1/2 mile home without incident, just the odor. So, i get home and shut it off. i look around to see if a hose fell off and is touching something hot. nope. so, i start it up again and the belts start squealing. belts are only 5 months old, so condition isn't an issue. i hop inside and turn off the defroster and squeal goes away. squeal then reappears whenever heater or defroster is switched on, with it being more pronounced when the defroster is turned on. additionally, my rpms have always dropped a few hundred for a second or two whenever the defroster is switched on, but ive never really worried about it too much. so, i guess what im wondering is if my heater is locked up or something. i do get air coming through the vents though even though the belts are squealing like crazy. oh, vehicle in question is a 92 Loyale 5sp 4wd wagon. thanks.

Do you have A/C? Check to make sure the compressor turns freely. The A/C comes on with the defrost to dry the air.

I agree, I had the same thing happen to me ~5 years ago and it turned out the ac compressor had seized - unplug the blue wire going to the A/C compressor clutch and your problem should magically vanish