Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the sound of running water

hey everyone,

i have a 2000 legacy gt wagon. i have noticed just recently the sound of running water when i accelarate and the engine is cold. it sounds like it is coming from up front, in the engine area. when i let off the gas the sounds seems to stop.

to me...it sounds like i am retaining water somewhere, and that the accelaration is moving that water around whatever 'compartment' it is in. that said, its not a 'water sloshing around in a pale' sound...more of a 'water running freely' sound. *bizarre*

does anyone have a reasonable explanation for this new sound?

weird, i know.

thanks so much.

hey everyone,

i have a 2000 legacy gt wagon. i have noticed just recently the sound of running water when i accelarate and the engine is cold. it sounds like it is coming from up front, in the engine area. when i let off the gas the sounds seems to stop.

to me...it sounds like i am retaining water somewhere, and that the accelaration is moving that water around whatever 'compartment' it is in. that said, its not a 'water sloshing around in a pale' sound...more of a 'water running freely' sound. *bizarre*

does anyone have a reasonable explanation for this new sound?

weird, i know.

thanks so much.

Any work done to the car recently? also check the drain hose for HVAC box. If it is clogged, you can be collecting water inside there.

nipper

• 3 weeks later...
I just noticed a similar sound on my 2000 Outback Friday morning. How do you bleed the heater and where is the HVAC box?

Mark

you dont bleed it. Under your car on the passenger side floorwell should be a hose hanging out. You can either blow compressed air up the hose, or use a clothes hanger or something to go up the hose and clear it. Be careful with the coat hanger. You wont puncture anything, just dont force it.

The hvac box is passenger side behind the glove box i do beleive, and runs under the center of the dash.

nipper

Nip means the HVAC box. If you want to bleed the heater it is the usual water system.You fill it first and most cars have a little plug on the right side of the radiator you remove to bleed it.

I have not seen the problem with the HVAC nip is speaking about, but I have seen a few folks who had air in the cooling system who complained about a runniing water sound.

Nip means the HVAC box. If you want to bleed the heater it is the usual water system.You fill it first and most cars have a little plug on the right side of the radiator you remove to bleed it.

I have not seen the problem with the HVAC nip is speaking about, but I have seen a few folks who had air in the cooling system who complained about a runniing water sound.

thanks maybe i misunderstood :)

nipper

I also have a '00 OBW, and when first starting out when the engine is cold, I can sometimes hear the sound of running water. Don't think it is a problem at all. The sound lasts just a few seconds and is gone. I have no overheating issues or any problems with the coolant system. I have no intention of bleeding the system on account of that sound.

Bleeding:

Park car on slight uphill incline. Front wheels on a curb would be enough.

Let the engine cool, open the radiator cap, idle the engine until the radiator fans come on, top off the coolant in the radiator, re-install cap, adjust coolant level in expansion tank to the FULL mark. Done!

(Run the cabin heat if you like, but it will only delay the fans. No valve in the cabin heater to worry about.)