Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you look for in test drive of 94 Legacy Touring Wagon

I went over to the bbs.legacycentral.org and could'nt find much advice for potential owners...

I am going to post this same thread there as well.

I am going to test drive a 94 Legacy Touring Wagon this saturday. It's about 5 hours away so I'd like to check this car out as thoroughly as I can before giving the guy cash and coming back for it in a few weeks when I have the money from selling my 2001 passat glx 4motion wagon with 53,000 miles...

This original owner legacy wagon has 135,000 miles. A rebuilt tranny was installed at 80,000 miles. it has new shocks and struts installed. owner says he's put in about $2000 worth of work. 50% tread remains on tires.

I know to look for paint overspray, improper tire wear, vibrations, oil leaks, etc...

thanks!

But if you were to test drive, what Subaru specific things would you be looking for?

legacy turbos have alot of under hood heat. therefore most are in need of ALL the rubber hoses needing replacing. so look them over its probably never been done and if your going to be keeping the car for some time. you will/should replace ALL OF THEM.........also look and the engine cross memeber this will give you a good pixture of how much oil the motor has leaked. as you cant spray th crossmember above the motor but you can get your finger on it and tell......

good luck they are awsome cars....

I had a 93 Legacy wagon for a few years, and I bought it with 123,000 on it. The main thing to be concerned about is the transmission (just because it's likely to go out long before the engine), but it sounds like you're OK there. The only other problem I had with mine was a leaky power sunroof, and chances are if it has a sunroof it WILL leak. Otherwise a great car with lots of life left in it.

Good luck -