Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

Bought an eBay Subaru cruise control for my well used 1996 Legacy wagon.

I know this is small potatoes for most, but because there have been some recent questions, i thought i'd say again that the installation of a Subaru cruise unit is trivial.

My kit had a two prong plug attached to the command switch which can be cut off if not necessary and the green wire connected to the 1/4" tab on the horn.

Thanks to this board i looked under the steering column when the cruise ECU connector was not in the glove box area.

Worked great right out of the box.

Thanks for all who contribute...helps a lot.

Ted

My cruise kit arrived yesterday, and I am quite impressed with the instructions.

Other than probably having to make my fingers bend backwards while I'm under the dash it doesn't look too intimadating.

Thanks for the heads up about missing plugs.

97 minutes start to finish, all connectors were right where they were supposed to be, airbag didn't explode, only real bugger was bolting the cruise computer into place. I had to take a couple of bolts out of the dash to move it enough to get the new bolts in.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought fog lights kit and cruise kit for my 96 brighton. I installed fogs today and came across a loose black 20pin connector near the fuse box under dash. Does it mean that there's no point in searching for a cruise control unit connector behind my glove compartment when I get to installing CC (installation instructions say connector is behind glove compartment and its black 20pin one)?

And where the hell I am supposed to fit CC if what I have found is indeed a CC connector? There seems to be no space for a box of that size...

Thanks for any advice.

I got stopped for speeding and the officer told me to use this > pointing to my cruise control. I told him it scared me... like HAL from 2001 was controlling my car. He said, "Yours is factory it's fine. If it were aftermarket or installed later, then I would tell you to worry." Quoted by a NYS police officer. I have no idea... I have it and never use it... still scares me. Buyer beware.

I got stopped for speeding and the officer told me to use this > pointing to my cruise control. I told him it scared me... like HAL from 2001 was controlling my car. He said, "Yours is factory it's fine. If it were aftermarket or installed later, then I would tell you to worry." Quoted by a NYS police officer. I have no idea... I have it and never use it... still scares me. Buyer beware.

I wish I could use my cruise control on my '95 Legacy 2.2, but at highway speeds it upshifts to 4000RPM+ at the slightest little incline to stay at speed, more than my poor little 2.2 likes to handle. I wish it didnt have to be like that. Using my foot on the pedal I have no trouble staying at speed without breaking 3300RPM.

Any suggestions other than to drive slower? Highway cruising speed around here is 75-80mph. (NYS highway patrol doesnt cite below 81mph from what I have seen, and this seems to hold true nationally for 65mph zones)

I wish I could use my cruise control on my '95 Legacy 2.2, but at highway speeds it upshifts to 4000RPM+ at the slightest little incline to stay at speed, more than my poor little 2.2 likes to handle. I wish it didnt have to be like that. Using my foot on the pedal I have no trouble staying at speed without breaking 3300RPM.

Any suggestions other than to drive slower? Highway cruising speed around here is 75-80mph. (NYS highway patrol doesnt cite below 81mph from what I have seen, and this seems to hold true nationally for 65mph zones)

The 2.2 can handle the RPM's - it's redline is 6500, and should have no difficulty at all doing 8000+ all day long. The 2.2 has 5 mains, and short, stubby rods that aren't even drilled for oil passages. The aircraft guys run the EA81 at 7000 with a prop drive for hours and hours. That engine is not as rugged, and only has 3 mains. Let your cruise do it's job - it's going to 4k because the engine is more effiecient if kept within it's power band.

GD

The 2.2 can handle the RPM's - it's redline is 6500, and should have no difficulty at all doing 8000+ all day long. The 2.2 has 5 mains, and short, stubby rods that aren't even drilled for oil passages. The aircraft guys run the EA81 at 7000 with a prop drive for hours and hours. That engine is not as rugged, and only has 3 mains. Let your cruise do it's job - it's going to 4k because the engine is more effiecient if kept within it's power band.

GD

Really? It just feels so harsh when the engine keeps slamming into 4400RPM down the highway, above 5k it feels like its going to blow up or something. Maybe I am just too sensitive.

Dmanaenk,

The connector you found is for the cruise control...don't bother ripping the glove box out, it is not there.

You will likely not find the 2 pin connector in the steering wheel either. Cut it off and put a 1/4" female spade connector on the green and connect it where there one you are discarding was connected.

Good luck.

Ted

Dmanaenk,

The connector you found is for the cruise control...don't bother ripping the glove box out, it is not there.

You will likely not find the 2 pin connector in the steering wheel either. Cut it off and put a 1/4" female spade connector on the green and connect it where there one you are discarding was connected.

Good luck.

Ted

Thanks.

And where do I stick CC unit?