Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problem with the fuel system? (95 outback)

Ok you wizards of subaru...I need help (again!)

I replaced the ECU and it was fine for 5 days and then it died and hasn't started since. My father in law poured some gas into the intake and it started immediately and ran till that gas was gone and died again.

I have read up on several threads here but nothing has worked so far. How do I find the fuel pump relay and or any fuses involved in the process?

I tried the "connect the single prong green connector and listen for the pump to come on" idea and got nothing; but my father (mechanic) said that is not necessarily indicitive of a bad fuel pump it could still be electrical.

I need some help in a big way. Anybody live near me and feel like lending a brain or a hand this weekend or soon?

Are there any other ideas out there? I need my car.

I'm going to try to post a link that might help. If I needed the car I'd just run a wire from a hot lead to the pump with a switch in it. The pump should be easily reached under a cover in the rear.

If the pump does not run with a hot lead it's probably dead. (Make sure it has good ground.)

I've heard the relay often goes bad.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50945&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

If you need a fuel pump, I have one in Colorado Springs.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and I may take you up on it if I can't get the old girl fixed.

I hooked it up to a diagnostic last night and other than telling me that the check engine light was on (DUH!) it said "no codes" which I don't understand. Obviously something is wrong, I thought for sure it would be able to tell me...sigh.

Sorry, I sold the one I had the other day. Western Auto in Denver has a couple low mileage newer subarus. Colorado Auto Parts off Santa Fe also had some newer Subarus. Hope this helps.

Well, thanks anyway. The salvage yard special fixed 'er right up! We dropped that "new" pump in and she turned over and started no problem!

:banana: