Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy-Uncomfortable Seats

I know this may seem superficial since its not a "problem" but am I the only one who notices this? In May I bought my new 2005 Subary Legacy Wagon Limited. It comes with the leather seats, with the driver seat having the 8 pt electrical movement. I have tried every which way and my back aches when I drive it. I live an hour from work, so the reason I traded in my Forester for something new is to be more comfortable, and to have something new and under warranty since I do a lot of driving.

I notice when I go out of town for work, my back is fine but as soon as I start driving that car again, my back aches. My Forester wasnt like that, nor the car I had before that, and when I drive my boyfriends pickup truck, my back is fine. But after the first 15 min in my subie, my back is so uncomfortable!

Just wondering if I am the only one? I am at the point where I want to trade it in already for something else, even if it means going in upside down on the price since I havent had it a year and the mileage on it is high. But I am to the point where I dont even enjoy driving my new subie and that is a shame!

I second the $10 driving pillow.

My '05 is the same way. I swear, though, that it's not really the seat that causes discomfort and pain,(I've never heard of a passanger complaining) rather the awkward layout of the peddles, forcing my lower leg to rotate right 22 degrees and hover over the lame/loose gas pedal and then up and over left 45 degrees to brake.

I was talkng to a stranger a while back about how she liked her '05 and she, out of the blue, asked me if the seats in mine made my back sore. She said that she had her driver's seat completly custom rebuilt and her back still hurts when she drives. I maintain that a stronger gas-pedal spring, one that would allow me to actually rest my foot on the pedal while driving, would solve 80% of problem. However, Subie techs tell me there isn't one available.

Still, I've NEVER heard anyone say post '99 Subie wagon driver's seats are comfortable.

Juan

I noticed a big difference between our 04 Outback wagon and the new 06 Outback wagon. The 04 felt very comfortable. My wife says the 06 doesn't have a comfortable combination of seat positions for her. I really have to tweak all the controls to finally get it comfortable. Must be an age thing. Of course, I'm speaking only for me!

Yeah, add me to the list of sore back sufferers. 05' LW- cloth seats, AT. 6' male.

My '05 is the same way. I swear, though, that it's not really the seat that causes discomfort and pain,(I've never heard of a passanger complaining) rather the awkward layout of the peddles, forcing my lower leg to rotate right 22 degrees and hover over the lame/loose gas pedal and then up and over left 45 degrees to brake.

Exactly my problem. I use a back pillow or spare sweatshirt or whatever and stuff it between the seat and my right thigh while driving. It gives my leg more support so the muscles can relax and not have to hover.

Sucks- my first new car and this is dissapointing. Wife (5'9") doesn't have a problem in it though, I'm thinking about giving it to her and trading in her car for a used WRX- pending comfort of course.

The 1996 seats are truly awful - hard as a rock and zero back support. I stuff a small cushion in the lumbar area. 10 years later they still can't quite get it right?

Like Juan mentioned above, for some of us it is not the seat itself as I have no problem on the passenger side (other than another inch or two of leg room would be great).

But the problem is coming from the pedals and their akward arrangement.

Sorry, but I have to put my vote in for very comfortable. I've had back problems ever since being rear-ended almost 3 years ago in my STi. I bought my 05' Leg GT with cloth seats only a month ago (left-over) and already have 2500 miles on it. 1 hour each way to work, and 6 hour each way trip from PA to NH and they are great on my back. I also have a 95 Brighton and a 96 GT and all three have eaqually comfortable seats in my opinion, even thought they all have different feels. As for pedal arrangement this is really the first automatic I've driven. I come from stick shifts and racing them, so I think the pedal position is fine. As for spring force on the pedal I don't notice that it's weaker than any of my other cars. I might suggest that each person that actually finds discomfort actually has a back problem that they don't realize and these seats are aggrivating it? Kind of like a person with flat feet putting on a high quality shoe with proper arch support? Just a thought. I used to find certain seats uncomfortable before I started going to a chiropractor that now I find fine. Like a said, just a thought though.

Keith

Sorry, but I have to put my vote in for very comfortable. I've had back problems ever since being rear-ended almost 3 years ago in my STi. I bought my 05' Leg GT with cloth seats only a month ago (left-over) and already have 2500 miles on it. 1 hour each way to work, and 6 hour each way trip from PA to NH and they are great on my back. I also have a 95 Brighton and a 96 GT and all three have eaqually comfortable seats in my opinion, even thought they all have different feels. As for pedal arrangement this is really the first automatic I've driven. I come from stick shifts and racing them, so I think the pedal position is fine. As for spring force on the pedal I don't notice that it's weaker than any of my other cars. I might suggest that each person that actually finds discomfort actually has a back problem that they don't realize and these seats are aggrivating it? Kind of like a person with flat feet putting on a high quality shoe with proper arch support? Just a thought. I used to find certain seats uncomfortable before I started going to a chiropractor that now I find fine. Like a said, just a thought though.

Keith

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

Also, I KNOW it is the 05' Subaru giving me the problem. I do not have back pain in any other chair/seat I work/drive in. I wonder if the sedan has extra leg room for the driver?

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

Also, I KNOW it is the 05' Subaru giving me the problem. I do not have back pain in any other chair/seat I work/drive in. I wonder if the sedan has extra leg room for the driver?

6' Tall 240 or so pounds. '05 Legacy GT Sedan with cloth seats. I do have the 4 stage Heated Seats. Do the 2.5Is have that? Maybe there is a difference in the GT seats versus the 2.5i?

Something else I just thought of. My girlfriend is only about 5' 5" and if she schlouches in the seat she finds it uncomfortable because of the built in lumber support. That was what I was thinking about when I made my comment relating it to feet and arches.

6' Tall 240 or so pounds. '05 Legacy GT Sedan with cloth seats. I do have the 4 stage Heated Seats. Do the 2.5Is have that? Maybe there is a difference in the GT seats versus the 2.5i?

Something else I just thought of. My girlfriend is only about 5' 5" and if she schlouches in the seat she finds it uncomfortable because of the built in lumber support. That was what I was thinking about when I made my comment relating it to feet and arches.

2.5 does not have heated seats. My driver seat does come with adjustable lumbar support.

Also, I have some winter boots that have a taller sole than any of my other shoes. These seem to cause the pain to go away as well because it changes the angle of my ankle, knee, leg, etc.

Wow at least I am not the only one now I dont feel so crazy.

I have never had this kind of aggrivation in any other car, so I dont think its because I have back problems to begin with. I am 5'6. I do have the heated seats in my wagon, and it seems also, that with all the bells and whistles, because of that I can feel all the "stuff" inside the back of the seat, there is not padding whatsoever. I have tried having the lumbar all the way out, and tried all the way in and everything in between, and it feels like where they have it is too high for my back.

I never even thought about the spacing of the pedals, and I think you are right-when I first got this car I did have ankle soreness at first, and I didnt have that in the Forester.

I will look into getting one of those pillows. Can I get that kind of thing at an Autozone type store?