Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt preps & parts - '99 2.2l 5spd

I've got a bad oil leak coming from the bottom of the timing belt cover. I can't stand the loss of Mobil 1 and the smoke coming off the exhaust any more. I'll replace the front seals and timing belt, it's almost due at 87k anyway. I'm fortunate to have a dry (but cold) garage, plenty of tools, and keys to a machine shop across town. A quick search has turned up a wealth of info for my project, but I have a few questions.

1stSubaruParts is a pain to navigate for the parts I'm after, any other recommended sites? I'll pay a little more for good parts, how's the dealer on this stuff? I paid only a little more at the dealer for the entire cooling system on my BMW 740iL, after buying and returning much of it at Autozone. Everything from Autozone was wrong, and online sites were not much better on price.

I see a slight oil stain around one spark plug cover, so I'd like to replace the valve cover gaskets. There must be seals around the spark plug holes, but I don't see any in my Haynes or in diagrams online. Help?

rweddy posted a nice list of parts last fall for his '96, will those parts be the same for my '99? I'll be adding a few things that are probably due, belts and hoses and such. I can already see differences that aren't shown in my Haynes or online, I guess they didn't perfect the 2.2 'till the end of it's production:D

Thanks for any info!

I used Rock Auto for a bunch of misc parts and thought their prices and web interface was pretty good. Delivery was good as well

Here is the folow up email they sent me extending a 5% diso************. Feel free to use it.

I also used 1stsubaru recently as well. If you call 1stsubaru.com, they walk you through it and give you a good discount on genuine subaru parts. If you supply your VIN, they always get it right too.

Thank you for being a http://www.RockAuto.com customer!

To show our appreciation, we would like to give you and your friends a special discount on auto parts.

Here's how it works:

- You give the following discount code to friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks:

- When someone (including yourself) places an order at http://www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.

* If you are using our Java Catalog, enter your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart

* If you are using our non-Java Catalog, enter your the discount code in the "Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount"

- The discount code expires on April 4, 2006; so don't wait!

You may use this discount code as often as you wish until it expires, but only one discount code can be used per order.

**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code.**

Please call or email if you have questions or suggestions. Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

Thanks for the responses, I'll try those sites. So far things are a snap: I've snapped off two screws holding the fans on, and one shoulder screw for the timing belt cover. I'm up to removing the timing belt, but want to make sure I've got things aligned. Both cam sprockets have large marks which are pointed up. The crank sprocket has a small triangle, pointed at 3-o'clock, and a red paint dot pointed up, the key is on the bottom. Sound right? I'm pretty sure this is an interference engine, despite some things I've read to the contrary. I'll figure out how to loosen the crank bolts before pulling the timing belt. It looks like the oil pump seal is my leak.

I had a problem loosening the crank bolt, couldn't hold the engine still with the tranny in 1st and my daughter holding the brakes. The wheels didn't turn, but it felt like there was a lot of windup in the driveline. I could turn the crank about 90-degrees with my wrench, then it sprung back as I let off the wrench. I ended up using the starter technique, I'm surprised I couldn't use the driveline to hold the engine.

Searching this site, you've probably found this EndWrench article on the 2.2l timing belt. If not, it has some good info in the timing belt change. The crankshaft and both camshaft sprockets have marks on the face of the sprockets which should line up with the notches on the rear timing belt cover when there in the 12 o-clock position.

I just did the second timing belt change on my car and both times I had the parking brake set and transmission in 5th gear to break loose the crankshaft bolt, no problems. Still some windup, but not like 1st gear.

5th gear? That makes sense. I'll try it tonight on the cams. I've got it on jackstands, so someone will have to stand on the brakes.

I've printed out the Endwrench article, it looks like the same info in my Haynes. My biggest question is on the crank sprocket postition, there's a triangle embossed in it, and a red paint-dot on it. The left cam sprocket has red, white, and blue paint dots around the groove on the edge, so I suspect the paint dot on the crank sprocket must have significance. Is the timing mark on the crank pulley maybe? I didn't notice anything. The picture in Endwrench looks like the crank key is down, anyone know if that's the position I'm looking for?