Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question regarding 1985 Turbo Loyale with Auto tranny

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1985 Turbo Loyale 4x4 with a 3 speed automatic transmission. (It's a single range setup) The seller says the engine was swapped for an 87 JDM turbo motor and the tranny has been rebuilt (he has receipts for all the work).

He told me the front diff is bad and this is preventing it from shifting into 3rd gear. Doesn't sound right to me and when I drove it I detected nothing that indicates the diff is bad. After reading a little on this site I think the governor valve is bad, does this sound correct? He also told me the front diff is separate from the tranny on the automatics, is this true? This doesn't sound right to me either. When moving the shift lever it sticks when going into or out of 2nd in either direction, could this just be a worn linkage? The engine leaks oil and it looks like the tranny leaks fluid as well, it was hard to tell due to the skid plate he added. The motor fired right up and ran strong once the turbo spooled, seemed a little rich though.

Anyway the selling price is $500.00 and the seller is including the original turbo, a new ECU, a fuel pressure regulator, a left headlight, a Clymers manual (basically useless) and the original white spoke rims with new Toyo snows mounted.

What do you guys think? Should I snag it or pass?

Thanks

Wheelman

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1985 Turbo Loyale 4x4 with a 3 speed automatic transmission. (It's a single range setup) [snip]

He also told me the front diff is separate from the tranny on the automatics, is this true?

[snip]

When moving the shift lever it sticks when going into or out of 2nd in either direction, could this just be a worn linkage?

The engine leaks oil and it looks like the tranny leaks fluid as well, it was hard to tell due to the skid plate he added.

[snip]

Anyway the selling price is $500.00 and the seller is including the original turbo, a new ECU, a fuel pressure regulator, a left headlight, [snip]

My #1 criterion, if you are planning to make the car a runner, is how much rust? No-very little = buy. I would rather replace all the gaskets, and replace the tranny than do body work.

It is normal for all of the gaskets & oil seals to be leaking on that model, that old.

The diff in the front is in the same housing as the automatic transmission, but the transmission parts are seperate / sealed from the diff, which uses gear lube. The diff can be replaced / repaired without opening the transmission part of the case, as long as the pinion shaft / gear / seals are good.

Always check the gear lube dipstick periodically, as the seals like to develope slow leaks, and no oil will kill the diff. Talk about horrible noises!

The shifter just moves a rod that moves a valve inside, maybe the linkage, maybe not.

I have heard that turbo engines must be handled with care. Head cracks are common. Most of my non turbo heads have cracks also, but seem to run fine. I never had a turbo.

Dave