Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hot does it get?

Hi All,

88 subaru DL 80K

I was working on my exhaust and managed to strip the bolts out of the heads.....:mad: so I cut off the mounting brackets on the "Y" pipe, spun the brackets 90 degrees and rewelded them on so I could use the other recievers in the heads. I'm not the best welder and managed to end up with some small holes in the weld seem. So I used a liquid metal type goo to seal the holes.

My question is: How hot does this "Y" pipe get (approximately)?

I don't want to be setting myself up for a fire....

Thanks, WoodChip

i don't think you have to worry about a fire. unless i'm not understanding you, the possibility of an exhaust leak won't cause any increased risk in fire.

those exhaust studs and threads are annoying, i feel your pain on that one. good job with the quick fix though, that's hardcore. i like it.

can you try welding over it again? i've patched exhaust before and nothing short of welding has proved long-term. if the patch holds up, let us know and post exactly what stuff you used.

i don't think you have to worry about a fire. unless i'm not understanding you, the possibility of an exhaust leak won't cause any increased risk in fire.

those exhaust studs and threads are annoying, i feel your pain on that one. good job with the quick fix though, that's hardcore. i like it.

can you try welding over it again? i've patched exhaust before and nothing short of welding has proved long-term. if the patch holds up, let us know and post exactly what stuff you used.

I'm not worried about the exhaust leak I'm more concerned about the patch with liquid steel (Marine Tex) catching fire....

So far the epoxy liquid steel has worked, but I haven't driven it too far or that long yet. Initially I tried welding over the holes in my poor weld; but ended up with a poorer weld; and something that looked more like a cancerous slag blob.

I know that the liquid steel is rated for approx 300 degrees F; but I don't know how hot that Y pipe gets......

i have had more craap on my y-pipe than i knew what to do with and have never had a fire.it will take alot due to wind and the consistency of the metal.it is pot metal,it will not heat up consistently.to many different types involved there.before it would turn to fire you would smell it,so keep your nose open.:grin:

I'm not worried about the exhaust leak I'm more concerned about the patch with liquid steel (Marine Tex) catching fire....

So far the epoxy liquid steel has worked, but I haven't driven it too far or that long yet. Initially I tried welding over the holes in my poor weld; but ended up with a poorer weld; and something that looked more like a cancerous slag blob.

I know that the liquid steel is rated for approx 300 degrees F; but I don't know how hot that Y pipe gets......

It will get much hotter than 300F. Up to around 1200F.

It will get much hotter than 300F. Up to around 1200F.

so far so good....It hasn't spontaneously comusted yet. But it does have a slight burning odor.

Either way I don't really care if it slowly smolders and breaks off, I just don't want it too really ignite and burn up my engine.

Oh. and I just passed my emmissions test about an hour ago!

i used some "quick steel" the epoxy putty jb weld equivelent to seal up the egr ports on a pair of carb heads and so far it holds up. i also wore through the casting on the exhaust port with a dreel so i used the same stuff to fix that and reinforce the dead space around the exhaust port in the head casting