Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 OBW climate control running too warm?

Hello everyone.

I've noticed this winter that I never seem to need to set the climate control higher than 68, or the air coming from the vents is wayy too hot. Coming from Wisconsin, we have pretty cold temps this time of year, and still, putting the temp on anything above 69 or so gets way too warm after about 10 minutes. Is this some sort of thermostat issue, or is it normal?

Hello everyone.

I've noticed this winter that I never seem to need to set the climate control higher than 68, or the air coming from the vents is wayy too hot. Coming from Wisconsin, we have pretty cold temps this time of year, and still, putting the temp on anything above 69 or so gets way too warm after about 10 minutes. Is this some sort of thermostat issue, or is it normal?

The way the subaru heating system works, is that it has a fixed water flow rate and temp (not adjusted from the drivers seat). You have a air mixing door that regulates the air temp. There are a few things it can be. You can have an air temp sensor out of calibration. You can have the blend door that needs adjustment. Finally it can be a too hot a thermostat.

nipper

Thank you for giving me some ideas to work with.

I can tell you another aspect to this issue is that this warm/hot air blows more predominantly on the driver's side floor than on the passenger floor.

That may be done for the reason that more often then not there is only the driver in the car as opposed to a driver and passenger. I think its made that way. as the control doors are way far away from those ducts.

nipper

That may be done for the reason that more often then not there is only the driver in the car as opposed to a driver and passenger. I think its made that way. as the control doors are way far away from those ducts.

nipper

Hmm, then I guess my husband will have to put some cardboard behind the driver floor vent!