Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally built my snorkel **UP-DATE 3/8/06 NEW CARB ADAPTOR! NO TOILET FLANGE**

FlyB0y

Well, I can't seem to be able to edit the title, so I will say it here ... one problem I have had to fix recently was the dammage the hose made to the paint on the hood. At speed, the slight flexing of the hose rubbing at 2 places on the hood wore through the paint:rolleyes: so now I have some of those 3" ferncos covering those 2 spots.

Thx! I suggest making a in-line filter like I have in the 3" line. It's really easy ... all you need are a 4" fernco (rubber boot with 2 hose clamps for joining to pieces of 4" pipe) 2 4" sink strainers that are made of fine mesh like that of a screen door, 2 4" x 3" reducing bushings and a 4" round disk of filter foam, I made mine from the foam filter of my Edlebrock filter (can be bought for $20 at a parts store and will make 5 - 6 of these filters) this set-up is completely waterproof too, though I don't know that I wana re-pack the grease in my bearings and make vents for my diff & tranny, mostly I made this to cut down on dust being ingested and I originally planned on putting in on of those "turbonators" in-line :cool: ... not sure I will yet :burnout:

So is that all you have for an air filter? I take it that the filter foam you are talking about is the foam ring made to go around an actual air filter? So your one an only barier to keep dirt out of your engine is a thin 4" round peice of pre-filter foam?

So is that all you have for an air filter? I take it that the filter foam you are talking about is the foam ring made to go around an actual air filter? So your one an only barier to keep dirt out of your engine is a thin 4" round peice of pre-filter foam?
Well, it's foam from a Edlebrock Filter, not just a prefilter ... also the screen material of the drain strainers will keep back some of the big stuff ... one other modification I am doing is a 4" pipe ring to act as a spacer so the filter foam isn't squished so much, might be keeping it from breathing as freely as it should.

foam filters are the best kind as far as I know. With regular cleaning and oiling they will be just as good of a filter as a paper one and let a lot more air thru. (remember the oil!) But of cause, being a snorkle and being so high up, there will be less dust. So that means less cleaning. Interesting that that was your purpose FlyB0y.

foam filters are the best kind as far as I know. With regular cleaning and oiling they will be just as good of a filter as a paper one and let a lot more air thru. (remember the oil!) But of cause, being a snorkle and being so high up, there will be less dust. So that means less cleaning. Interesting that that was your purpose FlyB0y.
Well, I would like to do the whole fording rivers thing, but right now I can't really afford the bearings I just replaced 2x in the last month ... got that problem fixed, but untill I start making better money at my new job, I don't like the idea of trashing bearings early or having to re-pack them with grease every week ... but some day I will be able to afford to play in the water :burnout:

The blue hose is a heavy duty marine air vent hose. Its pretty thick and good for over 200 f. I work at a marine hardware store so it was just laying around.

David

Cool, I will have to look into some if my hose proves too light-weight ... I am also now working in a K&N cone filter, my filter just has too small surface area.

Ok, here's the $60 up-grade to a K&N filter easily obtainable at Walmart. This mod only changed the ferncos (rubber boots) and added a piece of 6" PVC for the center ... so it will not require any mods to any other part of the snorkle :cool::burnout:

I'd incorperate the two rubber hoses sticking out of the mounting plate into the snorkel. They used to be sucking filtered air, and now it looks like they aren't Might be time to break out JB weld and some brass nipples!
Hmmm not a bad idea, but only one is the PCV breather, the other is a blank with a plug in it ... I guess your right, I don't know why but I was thinking that was a exit, not a inlet for the PCV system ... maybe because it has a tendency to spit a little oil now and then :drunk:

Well, I was never really happy with the whole "toilet flange" adaptor for the oval shaped top of my weber ... well I finally got the idea to use basicly the same roof flashing I have on the hood for the exit of the snorkle ... this one is the same size, just made of black plastic. Here are pics of the results (also this pic shows the new K&N filtered air box made from 4 x 6" ferncos ... enjoy!) P.S. almost forgot to add the crank breather to the filtered air ... adding pic ...