Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck HLAs OK? RTV on Valve Cover Seals?

Just replaced the head gasket on driver's side, three questions resulting:

1) I was able to pull two of the HLAs out by hand (the two end ones), but the others rotated, but wouldn't pull out, and I wasn't about to put pliers on 'em. Since I didn't need to get the HLAs out to get to the head bolts I left them there, but am wondering, is this a problem? I think one of them is ticking, but just a hair, and the engine ran fine.

2) Do folks put RTV on the valve cover seals, or is this excessive? Haynes manual didn't say anything, but the folks at Schucks Auto Parts seemed to think it would be a good idea.

3) Do you have to go to the dealer to get the camshaft cover/assembly oil passage o-ring (the small flat oring between the camshaft assembly and the head)? Schucks said so but I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

PP

There's lots of info on this site on lifter ticking. If it's still apart, you could clean all the oil passages out with carb cleaner and then make sure you prime them all with oil before your re-intall it. The lifters are sometimes hard to get out. I would'nt bother taking them out and cleaning them out unless they tapped before. If your surfaces are nice and clean, you don't need to put RTV on the valve cover gaskets. The rubber ring should seal it up fine. The only place I have found the oil passage O-ring was at the Subaru Dealer. Good Luck.

RTV is good if you are re-using old gaskets that are getting hard. New gaskets should not leak if the surfaces are properl cleaned.

The o-ring is just that - a simple o-ring. the Fel-Pro kits come with them. They are NOT flat when you buy them, they just end up that way after years of being installed and getting hard and crispy. Any o-ring of the proper size and heat specification should work fine. To be safe tho, they are cheap so might as well get them at the dealer.

GD