Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! My subariu is partially diassembled and I'm stuck while trying to add a CD player. I cannot get the fascia/cover off that surrounds the radio. I have removed the screws holding the cup holder in and the two screws on the bottom (ashtray screws in earlier cars), but the cover seems pretty stuck on the passengers side where the 12V outlet is, I've pulled pretty hard with no luck. Is there a screw I'm missing? Do I pull harder?:banghead:

Give the ashtray pocket a firm yank out. :brow: Underneath that are two screws that you'll need a shorty philips-head screwdriver to get them out. These were the stealth screws that caused me to break my bezel.:(

This is a good time to give the fascia a little freshening up......it has been 10 years you know! Here is my 1996 Legacy in 2006!

2035802_1.jpg

Give the ashtray pocket a firm yank out. :brow: Underneath that are two screws that you'll need a shorty philips-head screwdriver to get them out. These were the stealth screws that caused me to break my bezel.:(

This is a good time to give the fascia a little freshening up......it has been 10 years you know! Here is my 1996 Legacy in 2006!

2035802_1.jpg

JPX:

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

What paint did you use? How did you prep the plastic? How well is the paint holding up?

Thx for the inspiration!

What paint did you use? How did you prep the plastic? How well is the paint holding up?

The plastic was washed, wiped down with acetone and then sanded with 800 grit to knock down the factory grain. I used Rustoleum (cheap!) plastic primer, silver metallic, and a SATIN clear coat. The primer fills easily. You could wet sand between coats if you are a perfectionist - but I skipped this. I kind of wish I used a darker silver like the new WRXs - it would have matched the Pioneer deck a little better too.:o

I cheated a little on drying time and impatiently stuck it in my oven for a few minutes. Not too long, but enough to harden the paint faster and make everyone inside the house mad about the fumes.:brow: But at least I'm not as crazy as those guys who stick their headlights in the oven!:grin:

It has held up great for a year so far - the clear coat is the key to taking on scratches. ;)