Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Subaru

Hi all. I just just bought 3 subaru's this week and need some info. A little back ground first though. I have owned ( own ) several suzuki samurai and sidekicks. I also own a 87 toyota king cab that has been solid axled, a toyota supra inline six cylinder motor swap and dual transfercases and so on.. The info I am looking for is about motor swaps. I bought a 87? turbo wagon that has some minor frontend damage, in the accident it poked a hole in the filter ( BAD LOCATION IMOP ) the owner said that shut the motor off right away. I got the car home and pulled the front end enough to put on a new filter and oil in it. Then the start up :eek: it made some horrible noise, sounds like rod bearings. Then I bought a 89? wagon with 129,000 miles on it that runs great ( tree fell on roof ) it has a 2 speed transferscase, the turbo does not, Finally to my ?? is can I easily swap the tanny and tranfer case over to the turbo car and the turbo onto the non turbo motor?????????:confused: Thanks for the info

Not a complete answer, but all i know.

Turbo ea82's have different heads (more inlet ports, for better flow) So you can't just throw the turbo on the non-turbo engine.

As for the trans. I believe the turbo trans uses different splines on the front drive shafts. You may be able to use the turbo front drive shafts with the non-turbo inner CV cups (not sure.)

Or you maybe able to use t e non-turbo front suspension, drive shafts and trans in the turbo'd car.

There will be some wiring changes needed if you put the non-turbo engine in the turbo'd car or visa versa.

BTW, I've never owned a EFI subaru or even a turbo'd one...

turbo motors have lower compression then non turbo's... but anythings possible, just cant run as much boost as a factory turbo system without modifing pistons, heads and fuel system... the dual range transmission is swappable into almost any ea82 subaru, but as stated above the turbo's do have a different spline count then the non turbo models.. its a combination of parts from both car to make the conversion work...

good luck and happy offrooing

rllywgn

Well maybe I will just put a new crank in the turbo motor. Were is the spline different on the yurbo compared to the non turbo for swapping in the 2 speed case?? Can't I just put in the whole tranny and t-case out of the non turbo?? Like I said Subby's are new for me. Thanks