Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bills are due and I'm locked out!

My drivers side door outside key lock quit working the other day (the key just spins), so I thought I would lock my checkbook, CC cards, License, my bag of jewelry (that I make & sell) etc; in the glove box....Now it wount open, keys go in but won't turn. Help, I need to pay some bills.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I think but am not posative that the glove box lock doesnt use both sides of the key, it should be relaitvely easy for a lock smith to pick so probably cheap too. But go to him insead of calling him to come to you. This is if you want to preserve it.

Otherwise a screwdriver gripped with some locking piyers can break it.

I always have problems opening the glove box when I lock it. Only advice I can give you (and I agree it's not much but it might work) is to keep trying. Try turning the key both ways while pushing and pulling it. Sometimes it works better when the key is not all the way in and sometimes it's the contrary.

Good luck!

I think but am not posative that the glove box lock doesnt use both sides of the key, it should be relaitvely easy for a lock smith to pick so probably cheap too. But go to him insead of calling him to come to you. This is if you want to preserve it.

Otherwise a screwdriver gripped with some locking piyers can break it.

Update! I removed the two lower hinge screws at the bottom of the box, but it just hung there and wouldn't release from the latch and I stilll couldn't reach my stuff because of the shape of the box. So I put a little more pulling effort thinking I might break the latch, but at least I wouldn't tear up the dash. It finally came loose and took the latch apart to see what happened to it and basically it is just worn or loose tumblers.

Why on earth a glove box lock tumbler would wear out, after all it's not like using the ignition switch every time you start the car.

BTW, after playing with the lock it turns out that the two keys will work (sorta, sometimes), but on on one side of the key only.

Thanks for help guys,

Mike