Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suby Suspension

Hey. I have asked about this before but at the moment I don't have the time to chase down the thread I made months ago. I have a 1985 Subaru GL with the air suspension system in it. The problem is, it is shot to hell and back. Missing air lines, slightly confused computer... Name it and there is probably a problem with it. Anyway. What all is required to convert the car to coil-over and where can I get some parts? Can I just take out a few pieces from each strut and then mount coil-over parts or do I need to completely change out the parts all together? If it is too extensive I will just do the 5 lug conversion at the same time.. Any information on how to do it and anyone who has parts to do it, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

all you need are the struts assemblies and rear coilover assemblies from a parts car or junkyard. Its pretty easy to swap the stuff in, just go pull it and swap! Should run you pretty cheap.

Two words I love to hear... "easy and "cheap". Except in regards to women.. ;)

Do I need the strut assemblies for all four corners or just the front? Keep the flaming to minimum but I'm not exactly sure what the strut assemblies are... However I do know that I need to do something before I drive it very much. The car is sitting VERY low. The rear diff is about 1 1/2 inches off the ground at the moment. Not good for driving. I'll try to get some pics on here soon...

Sorry, don't need a woman.. Just the parts to fix my car. :)

for the front strut assemblies, this is what it will consist of when removing them from a donor vehicle. Unbolt the 3 nuts on the strut tower, unbolt the bottom of the strut from the knuckle. Pull the brake line off the side of the strut and voila, strut assembly. For the rear, there are two bolts that hold the top of the coilover to the body and one that bolts the bottom to the trailing arm. Remove those 3 bolts and you're set!

for the front strut assemblies, this is what it will consist of when removing them from a donor vehicle. Unbolt the 3 nuts on the strut tower, unbolt the bottom of the strut from the knuckle. Pull the brake line off the side of the strut and voila, strut assembly. For the rear, there are two bolts that hold the top of the coilover to the body and one that bolts the bottom to the trailing arm. Remove those 3 bolts and you're set!

I can deal with that!! What donor car should I use? Just a same year wagon or sedan? Maybe my car will be on the road a little sonner than I expected it to... :banana:

you can use a donor car that is any EA82 except the XT6. Doesn't matter the year, just make sure it doesn't have the air ride as well, plus check to see if the struts are still possibly good. Any signs of oil residue on the cylinder behind the spring and I would just move onto the next car...

The funny thing is I have and 87 I believe it is, GL wagon parked right behind my sedan! It is my parts car. It was air system but someone converted it to coil-over. I just didn't know how hard it would be to change out. So, anyone want a cheap parts car?? Near the Chehalis, WA area?

BTW, thanks for the help!

if your car is a TURBO 5spd then you can use the xt6 suspension.

if yourcar is turbo automatic or any non turbo, the xt6 parts will fit if you use axles for a 1993 IMPREZA fwd 5spd wagon 1.8 liter

but to use the xt6 parts up front you will have to swap in the xt lower control arm or use a tapered reamer to enlarge the ball joint hole

impreza strut/knucle assembly will fit up front withthe same ball joint mod but you will lose the parking brake

the xt6 swaybar is swappable

the rear suspension for xt is swappable entirely. all you will need is the brake parts in rear, backing plate, hub, rotor, calipers. if you swap the whole trailing arms you can use the xt suspension

any coilover suspensions will swap in, the rear just swap in the coilover struts, and in front use a strut/spring assembly as one piece for a swap.

4wd wagons will have the most lift. 2wd xts will be the lowest