Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Outback - interference engine?

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 outback shortly, and want to know if the 4 cylinder 2.5 L engines are interference or non-interference.

I have a 96 outback at the moment, but I know the engines have changed since. I recall the new engines went through some growing pains from 1997-2000 ish.

Any major issues with the 2002 models that anyones knows about?

Thanks for any help

CF

the 2002 is interference. The headgasket problem has moved from the "combustion chamber/coolant jacket" to "coolant jacket/outside" union. Subaru has "remedied" this with a stop-leak type product. Lifters are solid now, not hydraulic like yours are. In 2001 they changed the auto tranny WRT the AWD system (I believe torque bind is greatly reduced this way, on the order now of the manual trannies). Suspension also changed, and you no longer have struts in the rear. You have coilovers instead. More goodies added to the interior, but I'll bet you expected that. . .

No real issues thqat I know of. the SOHC engine is a bit easier to work on than the DOHC that you have is all

the 2002 is interference. The headgasket problem has moved from the "combustion chamber/coolant jacket" to "coolant jacket/outside" union. Subaru has "remedied" this with a stop-leak type product. Lifters are solid now, not hydraulic like yours are. In 2001 they changed the auto tranny WRT the AWD system (I believe torque bind is greatly reduced this way, on the order now of the manual trannies). Suspension also changed, and you no longer have struts in the rear. You have coilovers instead. More goodies added to the interior, but I'll bet you expected that. . .

No real issues thqat I know of. the SOHC engine is a bit easier to work on than the DOHC that you have is all

Is the 2003 2.5l engine basically the same as you describe above?

Is the 2003 2.5l engine basically the same as you describe above?

IIRC, in 2003, the EJ25 got the redesign that it should have gotten in the first place, resolving the headgasket issues at last (the jury is still out on that last part, let them get a few more miles under thier timing belts before quoting me on that)

Thanks again, one last clarification, is 2002 engine Phase I or Phase II? I've got a 2002 OB (87,000 km) lined up to buy in a couple of days but don't like all the head gasket threads I'm reading.

I thought I read Phase II head gaskets are covered under warranty up to 100,000 miles somewhere on this board. Don't see anything for head gaskets under warranty check on CARFAX report I ran.

CF

ok, checked with local dealer, drivetrain covered up 5 yrs or 100K. I'm thinking of getting extended warranty in light of head gasket if the price is right.

btw - local dealer tells me they don't get that many blown head gasket jobs on the phase II.