Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEW to the board....got a leaky 1998 legacy brighton

Hi guys

nice board you got here....I tried searching to see whats up with this 98 legacy wagon i got from my mom-in-law....it leaks a little oil...otherwise runs ok....dont know if its valve cover gaskets or head gaskets maybe a front crankseal?? also i see parts talking about BEFORE 5/98 and after 6/98, im a little confused.....i have the VIN handy if someone can decode it...

i have seen a few posts talking about phase1 and 2 engines? i really dont want to dump a ton of cash into this car...it gets 350 miles to a tank of gas and i can leave my 14mpg lightning in the garage during winter and yucky days now.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Ian

All subarus leak oil. Its one of those things we love about them!:lol:

Really though, the seals that leak the most frequently are the Valve cover gaskets, oil pan, and front and rear mains. the front and rear mains can be a pain to replace, but the others are pretty easy (I've been told).

Thanks,

well i think ill buy valve cover gaskets and try to do it myself.

?'s

which gaskets do i get ? early 98 or late i have no idea when this car was built...all i know is it has the 2.2 motor...and are there other things to replace on the covers when i do the main gaskets...ive seen plug hole seals and other thingys....if anyopne has part numbers that would be great...thankyou

• 2 months later...

ok guys...i have the car now....tailgate handle is TOAST....it is so rusted it wont budge.....also the brakes pulsate BADLY when i get on the stop pedal.....warped front rotors me thinks....really scary probably takes 150 feet to stop from 45mph......my lightning goes from 60mph to zero in just over 90 feet.......i was gonna do hawk hps pads up front with some slotted rotors.

a few questions.....

where is the fuel filter and what size tool do i need for it?

is there a reccomened maf adapter of some sort to bolt on a nice big open element filter to the intake?

i have a raman alternator i will assume it should survive a while.

is there a good H.I.D. conversion for this thing? maybe some prejectors from japan? these stock headlights are not the best...what are the stock bulbs? no two sites give the same info some say h4 some say 9007 ?

Thanks guys

Fuel filter is right next to the washer tank with three fuel hoses. Just need a philips screwdriver and possibly a pair of pliers to pull the hoses off. About $25 from the dealer I think.

Buy new rotors.....but make sure your calipers' pistons aren't sticking.

it is a 98 brighton according to subaru customer service it was built october 1997.....I don't know where it was built.

ok so I did the fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter, and am putting in new ngk laser patniums tonight, the engine makes a bit of a clanging deisel sound or two stroking noise though........