Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok probably a dumb question.

i am putting new spark plug wires on my 97 obw to try to get rid of a misfire code.

on the box it says to do it one at a time so as not to mess up the firing order.

does anyone know anything about this. do i have to change them in the firing order and if yes what is the firing order.

also are there any advantages of new wires other than maybe getting rid of misfire codes. i mean will i get more power or better gas mileage or anything.

thanks

jake

make sure they are OEM wires. anything else is problematic on the EJ series motors.

on firing order - they make it sound worse than it is. just make sure you plug the wires in the right spots. that's all they saying. you can install in any order any way you want, just make sure they right plug connects to the right output of the coil pack. in other words - put the new ones where the old ones were! real simple, hard to explain in words.

any gain in power/mileage would be attributed to getting the car back to stock condition and getting rid of your mis-fire. the wires won't add anything significant themselves beyond the tune-up factor which is a good one.

It makes no difference in which order you replace the wires, but the important thing to do (unless you've got a splendid memory) is to replace them *one at a time*. If you pull the wires off the plugs all at once, them remove them all at once, then, if you're like, me, you're in trouble with regard to hooking them back up to the proper plug. If you replace the wires one at a time, then you'll run no risk of getting them mixed up.

The insulation of old worn out wires can leak voltage, and eventually lead to misfires, particularly on humid and damp days. I always had trouble with Bosch wires in my Volvo days. They'd crap out and get leaky after about 18 months. There's an active post here about a fellow who just bought a Legacy with a terrible misfire -- turned out to be, as I understood it, a dead or unconnected wire.

Rob

thanks for the help

i kind of figured that but the box tried to confuse me.

yes they are subaru oem wires.

the ones currently on are aftermarket. whoever had the car last must have put them on. but yeah i have been reading that anything but oem can cause misfires. thaks for the help again

jaek