Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Legacy Outback CV Joint/Axle Replacement

Just went though this process as one of the CV boots was ripped - took some pictures along the way, and added some notes - hope it helps someone out. It's for a 1995 (not 91) Legacy Outback, but I think they are very similar.

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/SubaruDocs/CVBoot.htm

Ummm, there was no Legacy Outback in 91. The "Outback" version of the Legacy was introduced in 96 (or 95?). In 95 they changed body styles, to the one the original Outbacks were based on.

Thanks for the pictures. I might need to refer to them because my 90 legacy has a cv axle installed by pep boys 6 months ago. Ever since then I hear a clunk every time I let off the gas. I dont know if it's a defective cv joint but I suspect it is. There have been numerous warnings on this site about cheap axles. The people in the know say to only use genuine subaru axles, or if you must save money use Napa. Now I need some advice- should I chance this axle breaking or replace it first? :confused:

Olnick, and jjou812 - you're very welcome! jjou812, your 1990 Legacy should be really similar. I used to have a '90 model and it looked almost exactly the same. I bought my axle replacements from a local Autozone - hope they are OK! If it's making a noise, I would check it out, or if it's still under warrenty from Pep Boys, ask them to check it out.

Good luck!

http://www.lovehorsepower.com