Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Progressive springs? - '97 Outback 5-speed

'97 Outback 5-speed 150k miles.

Time to tighten up the suspension. Are there progressive springs for stock height available anywhere? Any particulary rewarding bushing replacements? Are there Bilstein Touring class shocks for these cars?

New balljoints, struts, tires are going in as well. Will 215/70 (1os)tires generally clear all mounts?

No slammed or jacked recommendations please. Just looking for a better riding/handling all-weather highway commuter.:cool:

What's your budget?

You're probably not going to find anything specifically for the outback, however there are probably quite a bit of stuff from the normal legacy and impreza of similar years that would work.

You could put Legacy GT springs & struts on your outback, which will probably lower the ride height from what it current is, and give you better handling....without "slamming" it.

I'd suggest searching on Nasioc http://forums.nasioc.com/forums in the legacy forum for more information on what's swappable.

What about KYB GR2 struts? They're supposed to be stiffer than the OEM but not too harsh, sounds like that's what you're looking for.

I'm planning on buying some very soon to go with my new Scorpion lift springs. They're around $350 for a set of four delivered, at least where I've been shopping (http://www.tirerack.com). There may be other places to purchase these but I've had good luck with tirerack in the past.

Steve

Thanks. They have "progressive" springs for the front, but lowered.

There may not be such an item.

They list springs that are lower than stock(L), stock ht(S), and higher than stock (H), for both the front and rear end of the Outback. What am I missing?

96-10/98 OUTBACK 2ND GEN

Front L/S/H: KFFL-25/KFFS-25/KSFR-26

Rear L/S/H: KSRL-25/KSRS-25/KSRR-25