Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 Awd Swap

86ruguy

I AM GOING TO BE GETTING A 95 LEGACY AWD AND AM WONDERING HOW MUCH OF THIS RIG I CAN USE TO CONVERT MY 86 EA82 WAGON TO AWD OR IF I SHOULD JUST BUY THE MOTOR...I KNOW YOU GUYS HAVE THE STICKY IN USRM BUT IT IS CONFUSING BECAUSE THIS IS A LEGACY AND NOT AN IMPREZA.:-\

I AM GETTING OLD AND AM HAVING TROUBLE USING THE CLUTCH THESE DAYS :mad: SO I THOUGHT I COULD SWAP TO AUTO AWD...

INFO WOULD BE COOL:burnout:

are you looking for a directy swap that's relatively simple? or is some custom work okay? there's enough information and knowledge on this site to help you deal with the issues you'd encounter. swapping newer EJ series stuff into older EA series has been done.

the newer generation vehicles do not swap directly into older generation. you'll have to swap the entire engine harness, computer, entire engine over to the EA82.

the Automatic trans will require the entire wiring harness dedicated to the transmission. you'll need the clutch pedals (and the dash if you want the correct display of Park, Neutral, etc), rear differential (due to a different final drive ratio than the EA82 diff) and driveshaft.

your best bet would be to grab the entire 95 wiring harness and strip out what you don't need, make sure you keep anything engine and transmission related and you're golden. it'll plug and play then, you'll just have to get it in.

the good news is that the motor is essentially a drop in - the bolts fit right in the crossmember though some have mentioned they needed to drill the holes in the crossmember out a little. but that's no big deal, that's great that the engine fits and fits right in with the existing crossmember.

questionable items:

the driveshaft might be a different length and would need to be shortened (custom work)

not sure if the axles will interchange. pretty sure those axles won't work. i think impreza hubs will swap in place of the EA82 hubs, if you can get the legacy hubs to work or if impreza hubs can use legacy axles you can get one of those hubs in place with little effort and they'll accept the axles. the rear hubs i'm not sure how you'd get those hubs to accept the axles except to have a CV rebuilder use both axles to creat one that you need.

i'm sorry...i'm not sure about the hubs. i do not know at all if the impreza or legacy hubs will work. my thinking was off when i was first answering your questions. if you have both cars, it shouldn't be too hard to find out and i'm sure lots of us here would be very interested to know if this works or not.

someone else here will know.