Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL D/R Wagon????

there is a "fuel pump control unit" a small black box under the dasn soewhere near the fuse panel.

there is no ecu like in fuel inj models

if you have a check engine lite, egr lite, what have it may be, this coeson every so any thousand miles by a switch in the odometer.

this does not indicate a problem, it coes oon to remind the egr to be serviced

there are a pair of black leads under the dash to reset the light

You may have not seen one of these yet miles - but trust me, EA82's did come with Feedback carbs in CA, and possibly other places. I happen to own one, and there are plenty of them in the yards around here. It's a more complex system than the EA81 feedback, and there is at least one sensor - the manifold pressure sensor - that I have been unable to locate a working replacement for. I shudder to think what it would cost from the dealer, and it is definately not repairable... I took one apart and it's a mess inside. Not just electronics, but some sort of viscous gel as well. Very interesting.

I did away with the whole mess yesterday actually - put on a Weber. MUCH better power, and no more weird vacuum solenionds and ECS lights. The computer is still turning on the ECS light on me, but that will go away when I pull the computer out. The thing would run alright, but randomely the idle would drop and engine would die. Would have to give it a bit of gas to keep it running. But it would only happen when the ECU decided to change something - probably a flaky sensor - O2's will do that. Who knows tho. And I drive about 200 miles a day.

If you need an EA82 feedback ECU - I've got one. It's never going back on my car, so you can have it for free if you like.

GD