Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

Over the past couple of weeks I noticed a louder than normal engine noise when I start my 00 Impreza GL with clutch engaged (although not every time say 1 in 25). The noise is kinda like a rumble or loud hum. It only lasts few seconds.

I have tried starting in neutral with clutch pedal not pressed and no noise other than the usual engine start noise. Sorry to be vague but its only happened few times and some of them were times when the radio came on when I turned ignition so didn't hear it completely.

The cars got 81.5k miles and I've never had to replace a clutch on any other cars I've owned so I'm not familiar with symptoms of a failing or slipping clutch.

Any suggestions??

neil

Any noise that is there when the pedal is depressed, and goes away when not is usually the throw out bearing. SInce it happens rarely i wouldnt worry about it untill its happens all the time, unless the car is under warrenty.

nipper

Any noise that is there when the pedal is depressed, and goes away when not is usually the throw out bearing. SInce it happens rarely i wouldnt worry about it untill its happens all the time, unless the car is under warrenty.

nipper

Thanks Nipper

Wish it was under warrenty then I wouldn't feel stupid asking what a "throw out bearing" was. It never happened until recently and I just wanna catch any problems as they arrise.

What is it and where is it located?

neil