Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX turboback exaust onto...a '79 wagon!!

MachineAgeVictim

this is a '79 wagon, its a NA car. The first turbo'd Subaru wasn't until '83 and that was an EA81T.

So why are you planning on using a restrictive WRX exhaust? Just get some tubing and make your own, thats what I did:D

Also, the only bends that go up and down are the stock one that goes into the unibody right in front of the rear axle, right around the torsion bar area. You'll see a hole in the crossmember where it goes through at. Other then that, it follows the trans tunnel all the way back until it moves over, goes through the hole mentioned above and comes out through the muffler. I got pics in my webshots gallery of my Brat with a custom exhaust I did.

http://community.webshots.com/user/caboobaroo

I didn't see the photo of your exhaust in the gallery

well the WRX exhaust isn't restrictive compared to the stock 1600 :) plus it's nice and quiet, also I don't have the piping going through anything at all, it's just brackets

and yes it's free

I just went to look for my current exhaust leak and the muffler fell off LOL, soooo I'm gonna do something about it

free, hell, do it.

if the bends remotely match up to stock, all you will have to do is get the brackets sorted and find a way to hook it to the stock header. the WRX exhaust makes a good amount of difference on a legacy so chances are it will on a ea car. your stock exhaust is what, like 1.5"? probably cost $70 or so to get the muffler shop to do it up.

well the WRX exhaust won't have anywhere near the same lines as the stock exhaust. If this was an EA81 bodystyle car or newer, they have simlialr lines to them. Like I said in the previous post, the exhaust actually runs through the body before going over the rear axle whereas the WRX just goes to the rear axle and then over. If/when you get it done, take lots of pics!